State of Amtrak NEC/commuter rail window cleanliness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
I've been noticing that it's really a luck of the draw to have a clean window on Amtrak. I'm specifically talking about the NEC, but I know this has been an issue on LD trains for quite some time. Northeast Regional and even Acela windows can be very grungy, to the point you can't really see much at all. Shore Line East and Hartford Line trains have this issue as well, but the New Haven Line windows are usually clean. This is confusing, as I know believe there's a car wash facility in both New Haven and Stamford; possibly Bridgeport too? Why doesn't CTDOT use these facilities for their other trains?

It's a shame, since the most scenic parts of the NEC are in SE CT and nearby RI. I know Amtrak Chicago didn't use their car wash facility for a long time, but I don't know if that was just a Chicago thing, something was preventing them from using it, or it was a cost cutting measure. Too bad since it's a cheap and easy way to welcome passengers and enhance their experience.

Car washing is not as straight forward as once it was. Just speculation but I believe it has much to do with enviromental reasons. Many state and local laws will no longer allow new or rebuilding of older wash racks until treatment and filtering of wash runoff is allower. So, oils and dirt has to be separated out until it is as clean. Clean as where ever the effulent is discharged into sanitary sewers or waterways. The other has to be treated or sent to some where it can be treated.

Maybe you can ask a ticket agent or 2 at your station. Anyone have cities where there are no car washes.? How about if you wash your car it has to be on grass?

Back