Station in Houston - parking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Happy Cruiser

How is the parking in Houston at the station? Is it safe?

I've left a car there for three days; no problem. (Granted, it's a 10 year old Chevy; not in much demand.)

It's about two blocks from the Houston Police Headquarters.

The last time we departed Houston (in April, 2012), there was a car in the parking lot with it's side window broken. It had obviously happened there since there was broken glass lying on the ground. Clearly, I do not know how long the car had been parked there, but I would have some hesitation to leave a vehicle there while on a trip. Certainly don't envy the person coming back to his car and finding that mess - or the loss of proprerty from inside!

How is the parking in Houston at the station? Is it safe?
The Houston station is tucked back on a dead end street(the remains of old Washington Ave), next to the main post office and half under a freeway bridge. There is no security and the station is not manned 24 hrs. Personally, I would not leave my car there even for a day trip. There is a daily bus connection to and from the Eagle, but the Sunset only calls three times a week. There are other options depending on where you are coming from. If I am flying back, I leave my car at the airport and take the Super Shuttle to the Amtrak Depot. Try and find a secure 24hr parking place near downtown and take a cab or bus to the Amtrak depot. Take public transit or a cab from your home. Have a friend drive you there. If you have to leave your car there, try and park as close to the station building as you can, but don't be surprised it is vandalized when you get back. Discovery Green parking is the only garage listed as 24hrs and it is $15/day. http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2010-04-19/Visitor_Parking_Map_2008-03.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your honest responses. OK - just need to find alternatives. Near the cruise ship ports there are secure parking lots with shuttles to ship. I will see what I can find for the train. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back