Station Pictures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha

1149249624_LdrV4-M-1.jpg

While it hasn't seen a Passenger train stop here in years, a UP 844 special passed by last month.

While I'd love to see it, I wouldn't hold my breath. Remember, this is in DETROIT. Which long ago eclipsed Cleveland as the "arm pit of the world".

I've donated $$$ (Edit: "Thrown money down the drain") in joining several "Save Michigan Central" non-profits B4.

But until DETROIT comes back, (OK, I stopped laffing, twenty minutes later) I don't see a prayer of this happening.

I love that station too, used to ride in on the Wolverine / Turbo, from A2 while in Junior High / High School, and just wander the place..... The office building actually had people in it back then.

What a shame, what a crying shame.

Here's the station I most wish I could have seen before it was destroyed: Grand Central in Chicago:

Chicago%252520Grand%252520Central.jpg

Although I'm glad that Union Station's Great Hall is still around, all in all Chicago should be ashamed of itself for the way it's treated its transportation landmarks -- four of the city's six main railway terminals are gone, and the other two are shadows of what they once were.

Is there any airport anywhere with such grandeur? Somehow architectural grandeur was passe when airports starting showing up.

Is there any airport anywhere with such grandeur? Somehow architectural grandeur was passe when airports starting showing up.
I think it's because airports were trying to promote transportation of the future. Building something in the art deco style with marble floors and such would only remind people of the era they were trying to leave.

While I adore and want to save every old building, I also love "retro futurism". It's the 1960s' architects trying to be futuristic. I have no idea what the official name is, but that's what I call it. LAX is a great example:

LAX%20Theme%20Building%208x12%20300%20dpi.jpg

Oh... Wiki says I'm right. Found this link in the article about LAX: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro-futurism . Yay. :)

I believe the TWA terminal at JFK was razed this past summer.

I boarded several flights from that terminal and it was an

unusual building.

I found it a bit ironic to find this travel article in today's Columbus Dispatch. The mainstay paper from the capitol city of Ohio, whose Governor rejected funds to establish an Amtrak corridor route connecting their most populated urban areas, plus having just a single arch remaining from its own historical Union Station, has a nice review of Nashville Union Station.

With the last passenger rail service ceasing with the demise of Amtrak's Floridian in 1979, the property has survived the wrecking ball, at one time sold for $1, and eventually found a new history as a luxury hotel.

Nashville Union Station

I believe the TWA terminal at JFK was razed this past summer.

I boarded several flights from that terminal and it was an

unusual building.
The terminal building at JFK that was recently razed was the old "Sundrome" ... it was built in 1970 for National Airlines. It was next door to the iconic TWA terminal, and I believe TWA also used the Sundrome for a time.

The Sundrome was nowhere near as well-known as either the TWA or Pan Am terminals at JFK, but for those of us who like modern architecture it was very cool. Too bad the airport authority didn't agree.

Modern architecture on the 50s-70s has lost it flavor and now these sturctures are seen as ugly and not deserving to be saved. Like many of the classic stuctures that they replaced, they are now seeing the fate of the wrecking ball. So the cycle repeats. The ones that survive, usually do to some coinsidence and not really planning, will become classics and move into column with other must save historically significant structures. They are all part of our history and to choose one building over another as being more historically significant shouldn't happen. Today's preservinists would not think twice about New York's Grand Central as being historicly signigicant but probably go the other way if talking about Penn Station. Tearing down a building does not eraase our history and we should not be trying to write our own history by doing such.

ALX??

If you ask my opinion this is becoming another name that station. Since this is described as an Easy One. I would guess the other is a bit harder. Could we Maybe Pin this at the top for a bit if it gets popular again as: Easy Name That Station

Just an idea.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
The old GM&O station in Mobile, Alabama.

GMOTerminal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
While I'd love to see it, I wouldn't hold my breath. Remember, this is in DETROIT. Which long ago eclipsed Cleveland as the "arm pit of the world".

I've donated $$ (Edit: "Thrown money down the drain") in joining several "Save Michigan Central" non-profits B4.

But until DETROIT comes back, (OK, I stopped laffing, twenty minutes later) I don't see a prayer of this happening.

I love that station too, used to ride in on the Wolverine / Turbo, from A2 while in Junior High / High School, and just wander the place..... The office building actually had people in it back then.

What a shame, what a crying shame.
A working friend and ex-Clevelander used to call it the "mistake -by-the-lake"..

LA Union Station has two inaccessible and only slightly used and gorgeous spaces. The old ticketing areas (usually used for movie and TV sets) and the Harvey Restaurant (usually used for banquets). Metro just bought it and has an RFP out. I really hope they put these to good use without destroying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back