Stations without Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...Silver Spring Transit Center.
The project in my old stomping grounds that will never end. Well, that and the Purple Line, or the new library, which both might be finished before the transit center is complete, :D

When I moved out of Silver Spring 3 1/2 years ago it had been under construction for a good while, with bus conections getting scattered far and wide over city streets. Bear with it, we were told, for an improved commute. They claimed it would be finished in 2010 IIRC. The last time I was there, about 6 months ago, I just shook my head, as it still had a long ways to go before any bus picked up pax in it.

A very long thread, indeed. My avatar is a picture of the station sign for my home town, which was removed a few years ago. The station building here is still intact, and is on the National Register of Historic Places, going back as it does to days of the Seaboard and Atlantic Coast Line Railroads. It is used today by buses only (Greyhound, Ambus, and city routes); the only trains coming through are freights on the CSX "S"-Line, and on the Florida Northern tracks crossing at the diamond serving some local customers.

in keeping in Va. along the W&OD Vienna, Herndon and Purcellville Hamilton and Round Hill stations all still exist even after 45 years since the end of the railroad

Doswell, VA although it wil lnever see service again, it's still standing at the junction of the RF&P & the ex C&O now Buckingham Branch lines. Right in the middle of a wye.
I've always wondered about Doswell when riding past, as it seems in a prime location right in the middle of the Wye and the junction, but didn't really see any platforms on either the ex C&O or RF&P tracks. Anyone know which Road's station it was, or is it a Union Station in micro?

Actually, for a very diverse library of photos comprising passenger rail stations all across the United States (many of which are now abandoned or re-purposed) I highly recommend this Flickr Photostream page. It'll certainly keep you busy for a while, and is very relevant to this thread!
Good lord, I pulled that up last night while doing some reading, and think I fell asleep to it. Some great pictures there, and some sad ones (the restored stations where the tracks have been pulled up, leaving them truly a Station without a Train

Here's a huge list of old train stations in Maryland, including one of my favorites, Boring.
Great list you shared there, something I'm going to have to look into in more depth when I get a moment.

I think to keep on topic here, there needs to be a distinction between "ghost" stations, and define refurbished stations without "stopping" trains. In other words, some may be on an Amtrak mainline but not be used, but may not be refurbished. Don't know whether to include those. There are hundreds. But I think in the spirit of the OP, there are many stations that have been refurbished - either into a museum or into a true station in anticipation of service which hasn't come...yet.
I agree for the distinction here. I had started this thinking about refurbished stations only, so while I think Ghost Stations are certainly cool, that itself is a topic for another thread, as some other folks mentioned, this may turn out to be a long thread (but great one, as I'm learning a lot about what to look for on future travels) :)

...Silver Spring Transit Center.
The project in my old stomping grounds that will never end. Well, that and the Purple Line, or the new library, which both might be finished before the transit center is complete,

When I moved out of Silver Spring 3 1/2 years ago it had been under construction for a good while, with bus conections getting scattered far and wide over city streets. Bear with it, we were told, for an improved commute. They claimed it would be finished in 2010 IIRC. The last time I was there, about 6 months ago, I just shook my head, as it still had a long ways to go before any bus picked up pax in it.
I moved into Silver Spring the Spring of 2010, when this project was still very much underway, and have been anticipating its' opening ever since, as I think it will be a much improved commute as opposed to the jumble of bus stops the have in the streets around the Metro Station. It's essentially complete now (they've even got it all wired up, the signs all posted and everything), but last I heard there was a disagreement between the contractor and the county government over the thickness of the concrete in places, and who would pay/be responsible for correcting that, so lord only knows how long that'll take to be resolved...

North Carolina has a great website on this

http://www.bytrain.org/istation/

Marion, Morganton and Old Fort are restored/repurposed former stations on the old Southern Salisbury-Charlotte route that survived with passenger service for a few years post AMTRAK startup

I'd like to see rail service return to my hometown, Peoria IL, at the old historic Rock Island depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back