Status of Surfliner Service between Oceanside and Irvine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s not what I’m seeing on the Amtrak app now - it seems to show the bus bridge through July 16th. I’d call to get your ticket changed to 1777 and the bus bridge if it hasn’t updated already.
This morning, I called Amtrak and spoke to an agent who confirmed that our tickets for June 27th are still good. Until their system is updated, no new tickets will be issued to us. Amtrak has not contacted us with an update either.

This morning, I called Amtrak and spoke to an agent who confirmed that our tickets for June 27th are still good. Until their system is updated, no new tickets will be issued to us. Amtrak has not contacted us with an update either.
Well, it is updated now. Only the mixed service is available until 7/17 based on the "Schedule" page and I did a dummy booking SAN-LAX next week, 6/29, and it only offered the three "mixed service" options, no trains.

The website cannot show anything ARROW doesn't have. So ARROW is now updated.

If you want to be first in line, as you have previously indicated, for rebooking on 1777 on your trip next week, now is the time to check whether your trip is updated on the app or not. If it isn't, call. 777 SAN-LAX is now out of ARROW until 7/17 and 1777/3977/777 is in.

As previously noted, Amtrak has a history of being slow with notifications. I wouldn't wait for them. Check your reservation.

Well, it is updated now. Only the mixed service is available until 7/17 based on the "Schedule" page and I did a dummy booking SAN-LAX next week, 6/29, and it only offered the three "mixed service" options, no trains.

The website cannot show anything ARROW doesn't have. So ARROW is now updated.

If you want to be first in line, as you have previously indicated, for rebooking on 1777 on your trip next week, now is the time to check whether your trip is updated on the app or not. If it isn't, call. 777 SAN-LAX is now out of ARROW until 7/17 and 1777/3977/777 is in.

As previously noted, Amtrak has a history of being slow with notifications. I wouldn't wait for them. Check your reservation.
After reading the above posts, we revisited the Amtrak website which had finally been updated to show that the Pacific Surfliner bus bridge would be in effect next week on the day we are leave. We called Guests Rewards and got through to an agent within 30 minutes. We explained the situation and, after the agent had put us on hold for a few minutes, were told that an updated 1777-3977-777 ticket would be e-mailed to us. Wouldn’t you know it, but right then our internet connection dropped out and we had to wait a while for it to come back so that we could check our e-mail and open the message from Amtrak. All we got was the sales receipt (but no attached boarding ticket.) Perhaps we weren’t reading it correctly, but the sales receipt seemed to show our Pacific Surfliner reservation as “trip cancelled!” We immediately called back Guest Rewards and, after a 58-minute wait, got through to an agent who reassured us that our reservation had not been cancelled. She also e-mailed us a 1777-3977-777 boarding ticket, which we have since printed out in multiple copies so that we can stash backups away in our various carryon bags.

Although we had an anxious 60 minutes or so waiting to speak to an agent, everything worked out fine. (Incidents like this only serve to confirm that choosing to travel via Amtrak is not for the faint-hearted!)

Our thanks to everyone who kept us updated on today's rapidly changing situation.

Eric & Pat

Early this morning, we received both an automated phone call and an e-mail from Amtrak advising us that our 777 train will operate with alternate transportation and that there will be a bus between Oceanside and Irvine, CA. We were also told to call 1-800-872-7245 for additional information. Amtrak apologized for the inconvenience.

We, of course, had called yesterday and have already received our 1777-3977-777 boarding ticket. (Which we just now verified on-line, just to be sure.) At least Amtrak did contact us as the agents we spoke to earlier said it would if there was a change to our reservation.

Yep. Seeing the same thing on the website.
We have tickets from Lompoc Surf to Guadalupe on July 4, just to treat the grandkids to a train ride. This is all in Santa Barbara County, far from the track closure, yet we got emails and text messages from Amtrak to call about our trip. I was on hold for maybe 20 or 30 minutes, but what a waste of my time, as well as the time of the person I spoke with who assured me our trip is not affected. Seems like there must be a way to determine which passengers are actually affected instead of contacting every passenger on any part of the train's route.

I made a one way reservation for Wed. July 5th from Irvine to Oxnard which I take on a monty basis. I also got a call saying that I should immediately call the reservation dept., etc. I was put on hold for endless minutes and then decided to just drive over to the Oxnard station (5 minutes) and they said that my reservation was fine, just letting people know about the situation from Irvine points south and from San Diego points north which I have been aware of for months. I also tried emailing them before going to the station but "Julie" said my reservation number was not on file.

From Metrolink meeting 2-3 days ago.
Wall will be ~250-300ft long and 12-15ft high only suppose to last 1-2 years until the city stabilizes the slope.
Cost ~1.7m with 35% contingency or ~2.3m. state provided 3m in funding with OCTA filling in any shortfalls.
They did not share a timeline but the construction company has began securing materials.

I think that Amtrak notifies anyone with a ticket with a certain number on it like mine is 765 that usually runs from S. Diego and points north, etc.

This article about the state of the South Orange County section of the Surfliner route ran in today's L.A. Times -- there's nothing really new to report, but it's a pretty good summary of where things stand.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...t-railroad-tracks-surfliner-relocation-inland
It sounds like they are starting to realize they can't keep band-aiding this forever and have to move to the long term solution of moving the tracks inland. It is a matter of getting the cats herded i.e. the various political entities lined up so this project can be funded and implemented.

I made a one way reservation for Wed. July 5th from Irvine to Oxnard which I take on a monty basis. I also got a call saying that I should immediately call the reservation dept., etc. I was put on hold for endless minutes and then decided to just drive over to the Oxnard station (5 minutes) and they said that my reservation was fine, just letting people know about the situation from Irvine points south and from San Diego points north which I have been aware of for months. I also tried emailing them before going to the station but "Julie" said my reservation number was not on file.
Hope your reservation turned out fine. We were scheduled to take the Surfliner between LA and San Diego on the first of this month. When I first saw the info about the coastal issue on this board, I checked online and the 500 numbered trips had all been 'annulled,' so I called AGR to change to one of the 700 trips which had the bus bridge. The AGR rep happily modified the reservation and included a specific notation about the 17xx bus bridge on the ticket. By the day of travel, I double-checked the ticket at the Union Station ticket office and they reprinted the three legs on ticket stock. Good thing, as it turned out, because at Irvine there were not enough bus seats for those getting off the train from points north, and they decided that those without bus bridge-specific tickets would need to wait for the next set of busses. Of course, traveling on July First was a big mistake anyway, since lots of people were taking an extra long July 4th holiday and heading for the beaches at San Diego. Traffic on the I-5 crawled all the way to Old Town...

happy to see its back but I wish we were seeing more service return, they are only running 10RT down from 13RT and over the next few months they'll get more and more cars as ventures push them free

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be a long time that this train will be operational 🤞
without more protection there is miles of slide risk in this same area and much more north of los angles. Really the line badly needs more walls to protect it until the line can get a bypass. The best way to do that is to setup railcars with all the equipment needed to build the walls and then get a bit done every night, the locals will hate you but thats the only way this line stays open for the next 10 years we need it to be.

I am currently on 770 departing San Juan Capistrano, the crew announced we will be stepping ahead because the tracks might be “washed out.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back