Staying in room (agr + cash)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
So I have a question.

I am planning on taking a trip from GRR to TUS, partially with points and partially with cash.

I booked a one zone roomette with points from CHI-ELP, and we're in car 2130 (room 005). We paid for the cash fare for a roomette from ELP to TUS and according to the E-ticket we're in 0130 (still room 005).

What is the possibility of us being able to stay in the first roomette (car 2130, rm 005) all the way from ELP to TUS?

How did you end up with two separate rooms in the first place?
First segment is booked on the Texas Eagle (#21), and the second segment is booked on the Sunset Limited (#1). If I had to wager a guess as to why the second segment is on the Sunset Limited portion of the combined train, it's usually because the Sunset Limited is cheaper than the Texas Eagle for any given city pair on the same date (in my experience at least). Since the OP was paying cash, I'm guessing they preferred the less expensive choice.

Pure speculation on my part.

There is a very good chance that your original room is not sold west of ELP, such that you could try to get your reservation changed to allow you to stay in that room. However, as noted above, that is technically considered a different train. That is to say that you start out in a Texas Eagle car, but then are switching to a Sunset Limited car.

And because of that distinction, any switch will almost certainly result in a fare increase.

Now, if that room remains unsold by the day of travel, then perhaps you might be able to talk the attendant & conductor into letting you stay in that room for the rest of the trip. But I wouldn't hold my breath on that one either.

The good thing is that if the train is on time it would be around 1:30pm when you arrive in ELP. You would have finished your lunch and would have a short walk on the platform up to the O130 sleeper.

That car is next to the diner so your supper meal before Tucson will be a short walk next door. (Some exercise after lunch and a shorter walk for dinner) :giggle:

Always look for the silver lining :p

So I have a question.

I am planning on taking a trip from GRR to TUS, partially with points and partially with cash.

I booked a one zone roomette with points from CHI-ELP, and we're in car 2130 (room 005). We paid for the cash fare for a roomette from ELP to TUS and according to the E-ticket we're in 0130 (still room 005).

What is the possibility of us being able to stay in the first roomette (car 2130, rm 005) all the way from ELP to TUS?
Considering the two rooms involve different cars and different attendants, It becomes more complicated to avoid changing rooms. Can you call reservations and see if they can change the room on that ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back