Stephen Gardner Appointed as Amtrak CEO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not freaking out - this was likely the plan for the last few years - during the trump years they likely did not want to elevate him due to the politics of him being a congressional staffer hence Anderson and Flynn. With Biden In office this was the time to make it final: Yes Gardner is about setting up corridors and getting the NEC in good repair - but if congress gives him the money to do both corridors and long distance he’ll take it. He just wants to build his corridors - I don’t think he has any kind of principled hate for long distance so long as he can build the corridors he wants. I’m willing to give him a chance - the traditional dining upgrade and interior refreshes are a big benefit and positive upgrades to the western LDs - and it happened with him as president. Not saying it’s all positive but have to recognize the positives and not just the negatives

Last edited:
Many people who fear for the long-distance trains don't understand the political dynamic here. The main justification for spending Federal tax money on passenger rail to keep it alive is to provide an alternative to driving, to reduce road congestion and emissions. The routes that perform that service are corridors (preferably with multiple frequencies per day) connecting large population centers and focusing on average ride length of 200 miles or so.

The long distance services ("national network") provide some value as they feed a certain number of passengers into the corridor services and they provide mobility for the 10% of the population who can't or won't fly or drive. But most of the small towns and cities they serve don't really have traffic congestion problems, don't have problems with emissions of "criteria pollutants" (NOx, PM, and VOCs), and don't have enough auto traffic to make a difference with regard to greenhouse gas emissions. The main value of the National Network is to allow Amtrak to get political buy-in from a larger pool of Representatives and Senators than might be the case for something that only served densely populated urban areas. In other words, the Senators from Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Montana, etc. are willing to vote for funding the NEC or other corridor services in exchange for the Senators from the NEC states, Illinois, California, etc. voting for Federal funds for the Long-distance trains that serve their mostly rural states. The long-distance trains provide a lot of local indirect benefits to the economies of the small towns through which the trains pass, but it's not clear that those benefits alone justify spending Federal money on them. But the deal where Congress funds both long-distance and the NEC benefits both -- without the deal, there would be neither. This also means that the long-distance trains aren't going away any time soon, even if Mr. Gardner is the bogeyman many think he is.

Last edited:
I'm curious why some are feeling such a strong reaction to this. It honestly looks like a typical stay-the-course move to me. Any major changes would have to wait for a new board to be seated first regardless. In any case here is Gardner's chance to prove us right or wrong about his methods and motives. It is my hope that he will not be as abrasive or tone deaf as Anderson and that he will be open to maintaining a productive dialog with passenger rail activists, enthusiasts, and policy advisors.

The main item IMO is Gardner's treatment of LD routes. We have to ask why the LD routes had so many sold out days? Especially the Crescent. Could not get my trip on the necessary day. It is almost as if maximum revenue vs. expenses instead of serving more passengers.

This was the subject line of today’s RPA email…

“Are some pro-rail legislators getting cold feet?”…

While the email didn’t have any bombshells I’m pretty certain if Amtrak management drags their feet or blows their windfall of funding we can kiss robust rail funding away for a generation. We can hope the new Amtrak Board can reign in Gardner better than the USPS (D) controlled Board is handing De Joy. It only takes one Manchin type character on a small board to really change the trajectory of things.

Last edited:
With respect it doesn’t make sense for the RPA to flame the new CEO. It makes more sense for them to establish a positive working relationship with the management. RPA and other advocacy groups are going to be more influential with management if they are seen by management as useful to helping get things done in Washington. While some have complained that RPA is too cozy with management - in my opinion they’ve done great work. Their advocacy has gotten great items into important bills and we are starting to see improvements on the Food and beverage side - I’m sure input from RPA on what passengers want went into some decision making for the reimagined traditional dining out west - which is in my opinion far superior to traditional dining pre-pandemic. And it happened with Gardner as the number 2 president position - and he actually cited it as a positive improvement at his recent congressional hearing. Also the new Acela food service for first class is also excellent. Yes there is still some work to be done on eastern long distance sleeper dining and they could Also use some better consistency in cafe car menu availability. I was on the lake shore 449 today and a few items weren’t available including one of the few non microwave choices the turkey sandwich.

Last edited:
An interesting part of the RPA's latest message is its mention of a flurry of anti-LD articles appearing in a number of publications. RPA doesn't directly say who is behind this effort, but later notes that RPA does not have the financial power of the big freight railroads to influence lawmakers. Could some of the Big Six railroads be behind such as an effort? If so, I would love to see some reporting that would blow up such an effort.

I am willing to be convinced that Gardner has changed his stripes. In the past he had some deeply wrongheaded ideas about passenger rail and pushed them. But the pandemic has demonstrated to everyone in Amtrak that business commute travel is *not* the future of rail, and that longer intercity routes are much more robust and stable. We can hope that he noticed. I don't think he's an ideologue; I just think he didn't understand that LD routes *are* corridors.

I still don't think Gardner is competent because I think a competent person would have made getting timetables published one of their top priorities, but I think he may not be actively obstructionist. We may still have to lead him by the nose to do the right thing, though.

I am willing to be convinced that Gardner has changed his stripes. In the past he had some deeply wrongheaded ideas about passenger rail and pushed them. But the pandemic has demonstrated to everyone in Amtrak that business commute travel is *not* the future of rail, and that longer intercity routes are much more robust and stable. We can hope that he noticed. I don't think he's an ideologue; I just think he didn't understand that LD routes *are* corridors.

If he is truly reformed and proactive, and understands the concept of overlapping corridors, he would assist Illinois and Missouri in thru-routing trains 303/313 and 314/304 (a Lincoln train and the surviving Missouri train) into a neo-Ann Rutledge and MARKET it. Since UP requires axle count cars, they might as well be coaches from the longer consist of a Lincoln train, and while they are at it, offer checked baggage with a baggage car, required to make axle count, and for the use of connecting Chief passengers at Kansas City, and at Amtrak's expense.

I am not holding my breath.

I still don't think Gardner is competent because I think a competent person would have made getting timetables published one of their top priorities, but I think he may not be actively obstructionist. We may still have to lead him by the nose to do the right thing, though.
The sad think is that having published timetables doesn't HAVE to be a top priority. It's just so simple, so inexpensive in terms of overall cost of operation and so useful that even the imbeciles could see that it should be done.
It's just one of those things that a competent leader would say: "Are you kidding? We need to discus this? Just GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND DO IT OR DON'T SHOW UP TOMORROW!"

One more nail in Amtraks coffin. Gardner will continue the lunacy that we are now accustomed to, he’s already been behind most of it anyway. He will bide his time until he gets his ulterior wish of an anti Amtrak Administration and/or Congress that lets him splinter Amtrak into a few clusters of corridors and nothing else. He’s a relatively young guy with an agenda so I feel strongly it’s plausible especially with his past actions.

Too bad none of those things are up to him.

Someone who used to keep timetables up to date retired. So instead of acting like a normal large business and replace him pronto, or even hire an IT college inturn for $30 an hour that is good with Adobe and web to get it done, they produce nothing.

Instead they behave like a mom-and-pop shop, say they will be produced dynamically, making a large IT project out of it (by an IT department that gives us a lousy website), which never happens, but most likely think they needn't do it anymore because the airlines, [dying] Greyhound, most Trailways, and other independents don't either. What a low bar and pathetic outfit we are dealing with. They can't even staff their HR department. Most transit agencies produce pdf timetables and/or print them.

They are important for trip planning and has far more information on it in a consise place than it just being a timecard, and it shows a multitude of trains and bus connections. While few train and bus riders are railfans and bus fans, most every transit system produces timetables.

Amtrak is particularly needy of them since their website is a POS. Try booking a trip from Springfield, IL to the Bay Area, and it will prioritize sending you via Texas, tri-weekly.

The public is more ignorant of Amtrak's route map than they are illiterate of timetables. Try booking a trip from Counil Bluffs to Aurora, IL, and you will come up with nothing. A California Zephyr timetable showing Omaha and Naperville would fit the bill.

Last edited:
The way I see it, this timetable thing at Amtrak is the consequence of over-virtualizing the planning and booking experience. Similar things have happened in my professional world of computer operating systems since day one, and things have swung back and forth between too much virtualization followed by opening up clean interfaces to get under the hood so to speak.

The specific time table virtualization is probably driven by a mistaken desire to be like international airlines. It is a mistaken one because Amtrak does not operate under the same set of complicated haulage constraints that international airlines do. For example just because a flight stops at both stations A and B does not mean that they have haulage rights between those two locations for all. Railways in the past had some examples of these and they appeared in complex footnotes in the timetable, For airlines you have to look at the hundreds of pages of haulage restrictions for a specific itinerary and fare type. Airlines chose to virtualize this to the way they present only those itineraries that are allowable, instead of providing a full timetable and reams of footnotes, though even those are available to get your eyes glazed over in no time. Amtrak's latest web site tries to do something similar but it does not even come close to how well the airlines do it.

The solution, if Amtrak were a customer focused outfit, would be to publish at least something like what is called Abstract Time Table by Indian Railways, wherein the time table does not present all details but just provides station times at places that trains stop on a route, and show all trains on the route - no guarantee that you can actually travel from your point A to B. That needs to be verified in the reservation system, but at least now you know what you could potentially ask for.

Unfortunately, given the flow of the tides these days I am not holding my breath on anything sensible coming out of Amtrak and its inept IT department.

I see the win for the NEC and same old equipment for the LD's.
That is my worry also. The AM-2s have much more mileage than AM-1s. As well collectively the -2s operate on somewhat worse track than the -1s on the NEC. As well there were some 60+ -1s that were parked for years until PRIIA fixed them.

Just one more way of making LD east coast trains 3rd class IMO.

Last edited:
That is my worry also. The AM-2s have much more mileage than AM-1s. As well collectively the -2s operate on somewhat worse track than the -1s on the NEC. As well there were some 60+ -1s that were parked for years until PRIIA fixed them.

Just one more way of making LD east coast trains 3rd class IMO.

Well actually the track on the NEC I find to really be some of the worst. Especially that section from DC to PHL. That has to be some of the roughest. And the section in the East River Tunnels isn't great. In private cars I've actually had our grab irons dented from hitting the tunnel walls in there.

Back