STL to LAX - River Runner or Illinois Services?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanorn

Lead Service Attendant
I'm looking at a trip from St. Louis to Los Angeles. If I take the CZ I will go through Chicago, but if I take the SWC I have two options. I can either take the River Runner to Kansas City, or I can head north on the Illinois Services and connect through Chicago.

Are there any preferences? There are more services to Chicago vs. Kansas City, and I've heard that the River Runner can be canceled more often. I've been to Kansas City multiple times but I won't pass up an opportunity for good BBQ anytime. :)

Assume that I am not sensitive to price (it's about the same either way) and I will book with 24 hours or more between connecting trains.

😱Ouch, that's a Pricey Room.

lAll things considered I'd take the Route via Chicago since you can eat a Nice Lunch in Chicago, hang out in the Metro Lounge, have Dinner in the Diner on the way to KC,and then hit the Sack for a hopefully restful night across the Praries.( no need to spend a night in Chicago if you take an early Missouri/Illinois Train to Chicago( not the Texas Eaglette)

KC Union Station is a Wonderful Station, but there's not much to do @ night around it except eat and drink, while waiting for the usually Late Chief to arrive,

😱Ouch, that's a Pricey Room.

Yeah, I know. Same with CZ prices. Hence "considering" versus "locking it in". I've always wanted to take the Chief towards LAX for some reason; probably due to the Super Chief's allure in the 1950s. I only have to do it once as a bucket-list item so I can eat the cost of the trip and call it good, while there's still LD trains.

All things considered I'd take the Route via Chicago since you can eat a Nice Lunch in Chicago, hang out in the Metro Lounge, have Dinner in the Diner on the way to KC,and then hit the Sack for a hopefully restful night across the Praries.( no need to spend a night in Chicago if you take an early Missouri/Illinois Train to Chicago( not the Texas Eaglette)

KC Union Station is a Wonderful Station, but there's not much to do @ night around it except eat and drink, while waiting for the usually Late Chief to arrive.

I'd probably spend a night in either KC or Chicago prior to the SWC run just for padding purposes anyway. If I don't do that it's another night in STL so it's a wash in terms of hotel nights. Eating near KC Union isn't bad at all! Jack Stack's across the tracks has good BBQ, and Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop is really good for the price. I don't have any problems sitting at Pierpoint's and kicking back with a drink while the train makes its way there, as long as I have a good book with me.

I think my larger concern is the operational reliability of the River Runner versus the IL services. The fear is that the River Runner cancels for a couple of days due to operational difficulties and then I have to find a way to get across Missouri on really short notice.

I suggest going through Chicago to take either the Chief or the Zephyr. The Chief joins the original ATSF line after Galesburg and crosses the Mississippi at Ft. Madison. IMHO riding from end to end on a route is always better.

Make sure you have a room in the base sleeper which, IIRC, is 330. There is a thread discussing the car numbers for the base sleepers on each run. The base sleeper is the car next to the diner.

It is possible to ride directly from St. Lois to Los Angeles using the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited service, though, of course, it only runs three days a week, and you're stuck with flex food for the first breakfast, lunch and dinner into San Antonio. But it is an alternative that eliminates the chance of missed connections.

It is possible to ride directly from St. Lois to Los Angeles using the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited service, though, of course, it only runs three days a week, and you're stuck with flex food for the first breakfast, lunch and dinner into San Antonio. But it is an alternative that eliminates the chance of missed connections.
I don't think the Eaglette stops in St Louis.

I have an outbound trip to STL on the SL/TE so I'd like to change it up.

I'm looking at a trip from St. Louis to Los Angeles. If I take the CZ I will go through Chicago, but if I take the SWC I have two options. I can either take the River Runner to Kansas City, or I can head north on the Illinois Services and connect through Chicago.

Are there any preferences? There are more services to Chicago vs. Kansas City, and I've heard that the River Runner can be canceled more often. I've been to Kansas City multiple times but I won't pass up an opportunity for good BBQ anytime. :)

Assume that I am not sensitive to price (it's about the same either way) and I will book with 24 hours or more between connecting trains.

Another option you can take the Texas Eagle to Springfield. A connecting motor coach will take you to Galesburg where you can connect with the Chief and CZ. A different option you can take The Burlington Trailways Bus out of St Louis Train Station to Fort Madison and connect with the Chief there.

Yep, it's Last Call for Dinner in the Diner after leaving Chicago @ 145pm!

And the Traun is serviced there during the Stop.( its a Looonng Dark Journey thru the Ozarks in the Dark to Arkansas!)
So no dinner getting on the SB Eagle in St. Louis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The River Runners are usually close to being on time. The ride across Missouri is nice. You might take the morning River Runner, do some sight seeing and have dinner in Kansas City. My wife and daughter have done the St. Louis to LA trip on the Eagle and had positive comments.

The River Runners are usually close to being on time. The ride across Missouri is nice. You might take the morning River Runner, do some sight seeing and have dinner in Kansas City. My wife and daughter have done the St. Louis to LA trip on the Eagle and had positive comments.
I remembered that I can check the historical data on train runs. The morning River Runner seems to be very good on timekeeping; the afternoon ones not so much. The plan was to go to either CHI or KCY the day before as I trust Amtrak's irregular operations as far as I can throw them :).

Interesting that STL-LAX on Amtrak shows either the TE direct or the SWC via CHI. It also gives me the CZ to SAC and then south on the San Joaquins and an overnight bus - which is a non-starter right now. Doesn't mention the River Runner for some reason. Yet STL-SAC shows an itinerary using the River Runner connection.... maybe that's worth a phone call to Amtrak.

I'm also tempted to scrap the train on the way home and fly it, as that could give me a couple of days in Chicago I wouldn't otherwise have.

Yes, it's Last Call for those boarding there, those boarding earlier on the way from Chicago have the earlier times.
Thanks for the info, I’ll know to bring my dinner with me.
I don't know the answer if you can get dinner when you board the TE in STL or not, but I think you misunderstood Mr. Zimmerman. "Last call" means they ask if you want dinner as you board or when they give the little orientation talk if you are in a sleeper. You have to say "yes" right away and either go immediately to the diner/cafe car or give your dinner order to the SCA (if they're still doing the "you can eat in your room" thing.) No dawdling.

Since it is not a real diner, you might want to bring your dinner anyway, though.

Think I'm committing to go to Chicago via Lincoln Service.

Question: Is the upgrade to Business STL-CHI worth it? I could use the points, but a) that's an expensive fare difference ($25/61+) and b) are they still using the older AmStock in business class? With the new cars in service, is coach a better ride?

Last edited:
Think I'm committing to go to Chicago via Lincoln Service.

Question: Is the upgrade to Business STL-CHI worth it? I could use the points, but a) that's an expensive fare difference ($25/61+) and b) are they still using the older AmStock in business class? With the new cars in service, is coach a better ride?
Not worth the Fare Difference in Biz Class between STL-CHI, just get a Saver Fare in Coach( haven't been on a Venture Car yet, but most reports I've read say the Seats are NOT that Comfortable.)

Not worth the Fare Difference in Biz Class between STL-CHI, just get a Saver Fare in Coach( haven't been on a Venture Car yet, but most reports I've read say the Seats are NOT that Comfortable.)
I joke that I'm the seat model for economy-class airline seats, and I've done 4 hours in 2nd Class Railjet. I should be fine with coach. While the TQP could help a lot I can just take another trip somewhere local to pick those up.

Back