Stops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caleb

How long does the train stay stopped at a station? On the Texas Eagle's website, there are a lot of stations between San Antonio and Chicago.When I look at a schedule, only one time is given for each station(except for the big ones, for them an arrival, and a departue time is given), and I don't know if that is when the train departs or arrives at a given station. If it is when it departs, I would like to know how much time to knock off, so I can accurately figure a speed.

thanks, Caleb

P.S. How fast do the trains usually go?

When only one time is given, that is always the departure time. There is no "formal" arrival time(at least not known to the public, there may be something in the employee timetable). As a passenger, you can expect to arrive 2or 3 minutes ahead of the departure. These are obviously stations with very little activity.

The top speed for most trains outside the northeast corrider is 79 mph. This, of course depending upon topography, mountains, other trains being around, etc. I suppose a lot of times that particular train will go around 60 plus.

There is a given departue time on the delay report for Conductors. The Conductor will show his times in and out of the station. There is a calculation for time taken between to stations and time lost to file the delay report. I do have a sample delay report that I'll try to post up on my website later on today to let you sll see exactly what a delay report looks like.

battalion51 said:
There is a given departue time on the delay report for Conductors. The Conductor will show his times in and out of the station. There is a calculation for time taken between to stations and time lost to file the delay report. I do have a sample delay report that I'll try to post up on my website later on today to let you sll see exactly what a delay report looks like.
You should see my delay reports :lol:

Do the meals compare in cost to most fast food restaurants? I.e. how much would a burger, fries and a drink cost approx.?

Also, is tax included in fare quotes on the Amtrak website? If not, what is the rate of taxation? Any fees?

Thanks,

Caleb

Caleb, check this topic, it will probably answer some of your meal questions. (The Texas Eagle uses similar equipment to that of the Empire Builder.)

Caleb,

Click here for a sample menu from an Amtrak lounge/cafe car. Please note that this dates back to December of 2002, so prices have increased since then. The menu has also changed some too, but this will give you some idea of what to expect.

As for the prices of Amtrak tickets, what you are quoted on the Amtrak website under the reservations section, is the price you pay. There is no federal sales tax, and Amtrak does not collect state sales taxes,so you don't pay any tax.

You might also wish to check out On Track On Line's hints & tips pages for some idea of what to expect on your journey. You can find the hints & tips here.

battalion51 said:
OK guys the delay report is up on my website on the main page. Check out the site here.
Umm...you forgot an 'r' in your URL, unless Florida is now spelled "Floida'. ;) I've corrected the quoted link above.

Link correted. It's funny I thought about checking that link, and I said "Nah why waste my time." :lol: :huh:

battalion51 said:
Link correted. It's funny I thought about checking that link, and I said "Nah why waste my time."   :lol:   :huh:
That's usually my response when a mistake is brought to my attention as well. "Check the power cord on the computer that won't boot? Nah, I don't need to worry about that. Oh, you mean it was unplugged from the wall, and it booted fine after plugging it back in?" :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back