Storing luggage for the day in Denver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am taking the Zephyr Omaha to Denver. I should arrive early in the morning. Is there a place I can store my luggage till I can check-in to my hotel?
We'll get there early and take a bus trip all day then the hotel. What can I do with my bags?

I am taking the Zephyr Omaha to Denver. I should arrive early in the morning. Is there a place I can store my luggage till I can check-in to my hotel?
We'll get there early and take a bus trip all day then the hotel. What can I do with my bags?
In my experience most hotels are willing to store your luggage the day of arrival and/or day of departure. If it fits your schedule I'd do that.

Many years ago, I was able to store my luggage at the Denver station for a fee. I have no idea whether that option is still available.

Here is what is available for Baggage Service at Denver Union Station per the Amtrak web site:

• Amtrak Express shipping not available
  • Checked baggage service available
  • Checked baggage storage available
  • Bike boxes for sale
    [**]The number of bike boxes available in the station is limited. For assistance, call us at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
  • No baggage carts
  • Ski bags for sale
  • Bag storage

• Baggage storage is an area where passengers may store their bags, equivalent to "left luggage" in Europe. A storage fee may apply.
  • Shipping boxes for sale
  • Baggage assistance provided by Station Staff

I believe the baggage folks will store luggage (for a fee) and last time I was there, right outside were some van/truck operations that offered the service. Some of them will "price haggle"

There are also luggage storage services proliferating on the web that contract with hotels or local stores in numerous cities. Just Google "Luggage storage".

But I think paying the $10 a bag or whatever it is now at the Amtrak luggage facility would be most convenient, if it is available during the times you need it.

There are also luggage storage services proliferating on the web that contract with hotels or local stores in numerous cities.
I have not tried this but I have tried hotel parking resellers. The web apps provide little or no service beyond selling you a code and the hotel does not always have a usable parking space available. Post-pandemic staffing and automated (no exceptions) assistance means you might be SOL if anything goes wrong. It's so easy for the hotel and reseller to point the finger at each other while you pay twice to fix it.

Last edited:
Here is what is available for Baggage Service at Denver Union Station per the Amtrak web site:
According to the Amtrak website, the station closes at 9:30 pm, so if you are planning on doing some evening activity it might be advisable to pick up your bags before that. I would also advise to check the opening hours of the luggage office when actually there just in case they may have changed.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/den

It is supposed to close at 9:30 but I have been there later than that waiting for a heavily delayed Eastbound. But you have to keep on top of time of the arrival because the baggage folks will shut down to handle the train. One trip they knew they were so far in the hole we had no chance of getting food and issued us cash to buy stuff in the station before the sandwich store closed.

It is supposed to close at 9:30 but I have been there later than that waiting for a heavily delayed Eastbound. But you have to keep on top of time of the arrival because the baggage folks will shut down to handle the train. One trip they knew they were so far in the hole we had no chance of getting food and issued us cash to buy stuff in the station before the sandwich store closed.
Yeah, my trip through there last summer had both the eastbound arrival a couple hours late, and the eastbound departure too. It looks like the bar in the station does stay open until Midnight even on Sundays, although I haven't looked up their food (I'd been to Osaka Ramen that evening).

The place that had the good sandwiches and stuff to go, ( Acme Deli, I think, close to the hall where the Amtrak windows were) closed pretty early, 9PM that night (Sun) that's why they went ahead and gave the money early. The eastbound was buried with slow orders and freight congestion since it was very hot further West.

Back