Storing luggage while sightseeing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Can we store our luggage at the stations in NOL, CHI, WAS, while we sightsee, until our train departs? Thank you.

In NOL you can check your bag by showing your ticket/reservation. There may be a fee if you want to get a carry on bag back from the baggage room.

In Chicago there are pay lockers that accept quarters or credit card. For security in CHI, you give a finger or thumbprint scan. You have to give the code from your claim check and the same print to get your bags out of the locker.

Washington has a private contractor that seems to charge more than SmarteCarte. I only used this once and felt it was a rip-off IMHO.

If you arrive in Washington on the train you have about 48 hours to pick up your checked bags.

Are you traveling in coach or a Sleeper? If you are boarding a sleeper, you can leave your luggage in the first class lounge in Chicago, New Orleans or Washington.

Thank you very much . We are traveling sleeper, so we will use the lounges. Wonderful.

This isn't related to the cities you asked about, but I discovered that for $4 each suitcase my friend and I were able to leave our luggage at Saint Louis as well as at Los Angeles for a few hours. (The agent at Los Angeles even offered to store our backpacks for free, but we carried them with us during the day as we did some sightseeing.)

I think someone else mentioned staffed Amtrak stations storing bags during the day for $4 - I didn't realize this before our trip but it was very handy to give us some time to explore the cities before departing on the train. We had ticketed sleeper reservations so I don't know if that is a requirement for day storage. We were going to ask a local hotel if they would do the same for us but Amtrak was great - very convenient.

The nice folks at ROC stored our bags when we went to dinner during the interminable wait :angry2: from the Maple Leaf to the LSL. No Charge - :p they also checked our BIG bag to STL even though we were only going to ALN :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back