Strange discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I have been working on a trip from Cle to Miami sometime after Christmas. There is an additional discount when booking a room on Jan. 3rd. I might have seen this other times as well but can't remember the specifics. The website quoted the regular AAA discount as $24.30 on the coach fare of $243 which is normal. However, when I then added a roomette, the discount jumped to $50.40. In all of my traveling over the past 15 years there has never been a discount on sleepers that I can recall. Thinking it was a mistake, I checked other trips on Jan. 3rd.....Cle to Chi; Cle to Den: Phl to Chi......the same type of thing happened. It is probably something very simple but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Did the coach fare change to the low price bucket when you added the sleeper?

I just tried PGH to WAS on Jan. 3rd. Coach fare $69, AAA discount $6.90. Add a roomette at $196 and discount goes to 29.40. Maybe they are showing the the difference between the buckets?

EDIT: I just confirmed this by trying different dates and doing the math.. When adding a sleeper, they show add the difference between the buckets to your discount. Also, just select adult fare rather than AAA and you will still see a discount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak now includes the reduction in the rail fare as part of the "discount" shown on the pricing page. When you first price the trip, the coach fare is shown at the currently selling bucket. When you apply AAA the coach fare is reduced by 10%, and that 10% value is shown as the discount.

Now, when you add a room, the rail fare reprices into the low bucket. Then the 10% AAA discount is taken off the new, low-bucket rail fare. Amtrak compares that to the originally quoted current-bucket coach fare, and calls the entire difference the discount.

Example:

Quoted coach fare (current bucket): $157

AAA 10%: $15.70

AAA coach fare: $141.30

Now add a room:

New rail fare portion (low bucket): $120

AAA 10%: $12.00

AAA rail fare portion: $108.00

In this example, the actual AAA discount with the room purchase is $12, but Amtrak will show a total discount of $49.00: the original coach fare of $157 less the final rail fare of $108.

Try a dummy booking for the same trip but without the AAA fare. you will find that a discount is still shown with the room, this time only the drop of the rail fare to the low bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back