Strange Sighting On The NEC In Sunnyside

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
While riding my trusty #7 NYC subway train to a client this morning, I encountered a very unusual consist on the NEC. Just prior to the #7 Hunterspoint stop, the subway parallels the NEC briefly as it enters the East River tunnels.

Sitting on one of the two yard exit tracks, waiting for the highball into the Line #2 tunnel, was an NJT ALP-46. That alone I wouldn’t have considered odd at all, since many NJT trains run through the Sunnyside yard. This engine however was pulling just one car and it wasn’t even an NJT car. Instead it was an Amtrak car and a Viewliner sleeper at that.

Even though it would be strange to enlist a NJT motor to move a single Amtrak car, my first thought was maybe a sleeper had been bad ordered on the Silver Star, since it was about 10:45 when I saw this strange consist. However, I quickly dismissed that thought as I had just seen the Silver Star consist still sitting in the main Sunnyside yard on track #5 only 2 minutes prior when my subway had passed over the yard. So there would be no need to send a replacement Viewliner into Penn for a train that was still in the yard.

I also don’t believe that this was a simple switching maneuver, as this train was well past the yard limits and sitting at a signal that is controlled by PSCC and not Sunnyside’s Q tower.

So I don’t know what this oddball move was all about, but it was interesting seeing a Viewliner sleeper coupled to an ALP-46.

It could be due to the shortage of electrics that Amfleet mentioned. :( (I don't like the ALP-46's for the record, they're a tad bit on the ugly side to me.)

battalion51 said:
It could be due to the shortage of electrics that Amfleet mentioned. :( (I don't like the ALP-46's for the record, they're a tad bit on the ugly side to me.)
That would make some sense if there had been an entire train, like say the Silver Star. They could have taken the ALP off in Philly and replaced it with a diesel.

This however was simply one Viewliner sleeper being pulled by one ALP-46.

Maybe this is some kind of new service being offered by NJT for special passengers on lines that commonly see heavy delays, maybe a Warrington PR move to increase ridership or maybe as a prototype for future First Class Clockers. :lol:

This concludes the humor portion of the posting day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back