stretch cords

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morris&Essex

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

I wouldn't try doing this on a plane, but I used to use stretch cords (which have metal hooks) to tie my briefcase to the handle of my luggage so I would only have to tote around one item while taking NJT to NYP. On Tuesday I'll be taking the 3Rs, and I've got a lot to carry this time. Has anyone tried to use stretch cords on Amtrak in the last couple of years? Or are they now considered a security risk?

Thanks as always!

Are talking about checked in baggage or securing them together and putting them in the overhead rack?

Miami Joe B)

I see stretch cords all the time on luggage. You obviously can't use them if you're checking luggage, or at least you must remove them before checking the bags. But for carryon's you should be fine.

If on the off chance that someone hassles you, something that's very unlikely, then roll up the cords and pack them in the suitcase for the journey. Then use them once you reach NYP and get outside.

Actually, I was planning to carry everything on so as to immediately depart Union for my first appointment. I will, in fact tuck them inside my carry-on once aboard. Thanks for the all-clear, guys! :)

As a footnote, I just changed my reservation from 41 to 49 after seeing that at 11:20 central time, 41 hasn't yet arrived in CHI (eta. 5 hr., 13 min. late). :eek:

Never thought I'd see the day where I choose the LSL over 3Rs for its punctuality, relatively speaking. <_<

ELNewBranch said:
Hi everyone,
I wouldn't try doing this on a plane, but I used to use stretch cords (which have metal hooks) to tie my briefcase to the handle of my luggage so I would only have to tote around one item while taking NJT to NYP.
I have found that the shoulder strap on my carry-on is just the right length to wrap around the extended handle on my rolling luggage. It works fine and I don't need a bungee cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back