Suggestions for Amtrak traveling in Michigan?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardly speculation when the file text clearly states the following:

“Asked by Chairman Curtit when Caltrans anticipates the first car to be in revenue service, Momo responded that delivery is expected by January 2020 with a summer 2020 timeline for revenue service (6 months testing after delivery).”

This isn’t some random news article either; it’s the Next Generation Equipment Committee’s April minutes. These guys are the people who put this project in motion.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/305 activities report - monthly 4-30-19.docx

At this point, I've heard so many different stories, it's all speculation to me. It becomes fact when it's actually come to fruition.

Here's some temperature data from last September. This is for the Kalamazoo area:

View attachment 13328

Some of that is more like July weather, but September can be hot too. Once the calendar hits October, though.....

I remember when the Tigers were in the World Series in 2006, the game time temps were around 40 and below freezing by the end of the games.

I just hope it's not that hot this year.....plus, of course, I live close to the lake. Sometimes we can be considerably cooler here.
September 2015, 2016, and 2017 have similar data. Unfortunately, summer lasts a lot longer than it used to. That's good news for Penny, though. :)

Last edited:
September 2015, 2016, and 2017 have similar data. Unfortunately, summer lasts a lot longer than it used to. That's good news for Penny, though. :)

Give me 70 degrees vs. 90 any day. I guess that’s one of the reasons why I don’t live in Florida. I’ve actually never have been there but am going to Jacksonville for a couple of days in early December.

Hardly speculation when the file text clearly states the following:

“Asked by Chairman Curtit when Caltrans anticipates the first car to be in revenue service, Momo responded that delivery is expected by January 2020 with a summer 2020 timeline for revenue service (6 months testing after delivery).”

This isn’t some random news article either; it’s the Next Generation Equipment Committee’s April minutes. These guys are the people who put this project in motion.

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/305 activities report - monthly 4-30-19.docx

And it's also in line with what was put out by that group last year as well, when deliveries were projected for Caltrans (California) from early 2020 through mid 2023 and for IDOT (Illinois/Midwest) from mid 2020 through early 2023.

So, yeah, I agree, hardly speculation.

And it's also in line with what was put out by that group last year as well, when deliveries were projected for Caltrans (California) from early 2020 through mid 2023 and for IDOT (Illinois/Midwest) from mid 2020 through early 2023.

So, yeah, I agree, hardly speculation.

Projections are simply speculation. Again, I've heard so many different stories.....I'll believe this all if/when it comes to fruition.

You’re well within your right to insist words mean something other than how the rest of the world defines it, but it makes communication difficult.

When the people responsible for the work disseminate the information, it’s a plan. When someone else does it, that’s speculation. One is more trustworthy than the other.

Getting back to the subject at hand. In mid-September, the best idea in my opinion is get over to Lake Michigan. The Pere Marquette's stop in St. Joseph is right next to the beach. Holland State Park is about 5 or 6 miles from the station. Neither location should be very crowded at that time of year.

Last edited:
Back