Suggestions for short Amtrak ride out of CHI today afternoon!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
This is a bit time sensitive, so if you're reading this today (Fri 8/19), please try to reply before 3pm Central

I have a few hours free this afternoon in Chicago and with the plethora of rail options here, I am confused what I should do. I want to do a quick roundtrip Chicago to Chicago, leaving around 2-3pm Central and back in Chicago by 7-8pm Central or so.

I am open to trying any Amtrak route, or even Metra or a combination of each one way. So people in the know, please recommend what train and route I should go for?

This is a bit time sensitive, so if you're reading this today (Fri 8/19), please try to reply before 3pm Central

I have a few hours free this afternoon in Chicago and with the plethora of rail options here, I am confused what I should do. I want to do a quick roundtrip Chicago to Chicago, leaving around 2-3pm Central and back in Chicago by 7-8pm Central or so.

I am open to trying any Amtrak route, or even Metra or a combination of each one way. So people in the know, please recommend what train and route I should go for?
don't do Amtrak if you must be back by 8pm.... what if there's a 7-hour or 8-hour delay like what I experienced?

Joliet is a nice run, you can combine Metra and Amtrak and ride two different routes into and out of the City!

You could also rode the "L" all over town to Sight see if you haven't done this before!

Take the Hiawatha to Glenview and back, having a nice beverage at Grandpa's during your short wait there. That used to be a great points run.

you can go beyond joliet and do 21 to pontiac and 304 back or even as far as BNL. I think departure at 1:45 and arrival back would be 8:40, if on time.

Joliet is a nice run, you can combine Metra and Amtrak and ride two different routes into and out of the City!

You could also rode the "L" all over town to Sight see if you haven't done this before!
are there boat tours in Chicago? (with or without food/booze)

Thanks!

Take the Hiawatha to Glenview and back, having a nice beverage at Grandpa's during your short wait there. That used to be a great points run.
Actually, if you go to Glenview, go to the busy ice cream shop west of the tracks.

Best Amtrak bet is a trip up to Milwaukee and back. On Metra, hop on the BNSF out to Aurora. Or take Amtrak out to Joliet and Metra Rock Island back, or vice versa. I wouldn't recommend venturing further out on Amtrak, you would be taking a chance on getting back in time.

Actually, if you go to Glenview, go to the busy ice cream shop west of the tracks.

gotta ask... where can I find the best ice cream and/or frozen custard shop in Chicago? (or as far as O'Hare?)

Thanks!
My favorites are Scooter's and Lickity Split, of the local custard places I've tried that aren't a chain(namely Culver's and Andy's Frozen Custard, though those 2 aren't bad for chains). There's no shortage of places that make good ice cream(and gelato as well), such as Chocolate Shoppe(near the Edgebrook Metra station), Paciugo(3 Chicago locations, they are a chain but decent), Black Dog Gelato. For the suburbs(probably will forget some, don't hate me if I miss some), I did like Glenview Dairy Bar, Plush Horse(Palos Park? forget the one it's in, but near one of the Southwest Service Metra stops), Dairy Star(Lincolnwood), Brown Cow(Forest Park), Homer's(Kenilworth), and Petersen's(Oak Park).

Feel bad my membership signing up process to create an account on this board today took a little long and that this reply to the OP is a little too late to help him/her out, but I was going to suggest a Metra trip over doing one on South Shore, Amtrak Hiawatha, or any Amtrak Illinois trains. Not that the latter 3 are bad(I like any of those latter 3 too), just you'd have more time to enjoy yourself if you did a Metra trip. Since honestly he/she would've had very little time in Milwaukee, unless the OP would've been happy with only a 4:44pm-5:45pm(1 hour, 1 minute IF it was on time) layover in Milwaukee. Where in that case, I would've suggested going inside the Milwaukee Public Market(this'd probably have been the best idea to do with that short of a layover, and there are places inside there where OP could've gotten a bite to eat), or finding somewhere nearby to eat or drink in the Historic 3rd Ward neighborhood. Which is only a short walk east, on Saint Paul Avenue.

I was going to suggest the 2:45pm Metra train(if you didn't mind leaving a little early, and arriving at Joliet at 3:50pm) on the Heritage Corridor line out of Union Station, and then coming back at 6:15pm from Joliet with a 7:42pm arrival at LaSalle St. station. You'd have to Divvy bike or Uber/taxi your way back to Union Station if you did that, keep in mind. Other ideas I like are taking the BNSF to Aurora, Union Pacific West line to Geneva(nice downtown, and the park along the Fox River is worth a look), or(in lieu of the idea of going to Joliet) taking the Rock Island train to Blue Island-Vermont St(which serves their historic downtown) and back. I'm not sure why Blue Island always seems to be underrated when people talk about destinations off of Metra, but I love how historic that town is. Very nice, and there are also good places one can eat at or have a beer at as well(i.e. Rock Island Public House, Blue Island Brewing Company, Maple Tree Inn to name examples).

Whatever you decided, I hope you had a good trip taking the(probably a Metra) train to somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a METRA weekend pass. You can ride all weekend for low cost on a variety of routes, some as far as 40 miles out and back.
I thought some METRA trains don't operate on the weekends?
North Central, Heritage and UP Northwest's McHenry Branch don't run on weekends. Southwest Service and Electric District's Blue Island branch don't run on Sundays. All other lines run seven days a week. Sunday and holiday service, however, is basically on an every two hour basis which limits the number of lines that can be ridden on one day.

North Central, Heritage and UP Northwest's McHenry Branch don't run on weekends. Southwest Service and Electric District's Blue Island branch don't run on Sundays. All other lines run seven days a week. Sunday and holiday service, however, is basically on an every two hour basis which limits the number of lines that can be ridden on one day.
I will be connecting in Chicago again sometime next week. (arriving on Amtrak at Union Station and departing from O'Hare) I should have at least 6 or 7 hours of free time between 9am and 3pm.

Since I've never had a real Chicago-style deep dish pizza, I'd like to know where's the best place to try it near Union Station? Thanks! :)

Get a METRA weekend pass. You can ride all weekend for low cost on a variety of routes, some as far as 40 miles out and back.
I thought some METRA trains don't operate on the weekends?
Correct on what you said. Southwest Service also has very few trains on Saturday vs. its weekday schedule, keep in mind. Though one could transfer to Pace buses and go east to Rock Island(i.e. on 159th St using the #364 bus), since the Rock Island line runs more frequently. Also if you want to go to Kenosha(and I'd definitely recommend Kenosha as one of the better places you could travel to on Metra), keep in mind there are very few scheduled trains that go past Waukegan especially on weekends, and much fewer on Sunday. Also correct that Sunday service is mainly every 2 hours, though a few lines(at least Fox Lake and Waukegan/Kenosha) do have limited stop express outbound trains if you're at the right stations, where you won't quite have to wait that 2 hour gap between trains. I've sometimes strategically done 30-40 minute walks south or north to the next station to fit in more places to visit while having a weekend pass, due to that annoying 2 hour gap factor between weekend trains(i.e. between Lake Bluff and Lake Forest). Been meaning to buy a bike so I don't have to borrow one from a friend, and I'm sure I'll get that done soon.

Back to what I said about Kenosha, go there on Saturday vs. a Sunday or holiday, since you'll have more time to spend there. Just carefully look over the Union Pacific North schedule and keep those limited times that go there and back in mind, so that you don't get stranded up there. I wish the Kenosha city buses ran later on Saturday(they stop at something like 3-4pm on Saturday, and they run for later on weekdays(till I think 7pmish?), since their downtown streetcar loop for whatever reason runs till 6:15pm.

Since I've never had a real Chicago-style deep dish pizza, I'd like to know where's the best place to try it near Union Station? Thanks! :)

I'd go to Pizano's in the Loop(on Madison St just west of Michigan Ave and Millennium Park), or Lou Malnati's(one on Wells St near the Merchandise Mart 'L stop, and a newer South Loop location on State St). You also could go to Pizzeria Uno or Gino's East, but for whatever reason I've always liked Pizano's and Lou Malnati's the most. And sadly for whatever reason, I've sensed Giordano's getting worse and more expensive vs. years ago. :(

re: pizza, m-f 11-3 Girodanos on Jackson (between franklin and wells) has ready to go single deep dish pizzas, salad and a drink for $10.00- carry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back