Suggestions for the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jha6

Train Attendant
Hi,
I am looking to take my 2nd LD train ride. Yes, I am hooked. I did the Zephyr three weeks ago and got all my money back so I am looking for something else to use the vouchers. I just read an article where someone posted their three favorite train trips:1. Candian Rockies; 2. Zephyr; 3. Coast Starlight.

I would like to do a one-way trip. Any suggestions? LA to Seattle? Seattle to LA? Seattle to San Diego?

Thanks for your suggestions. You all have been EXTREMELY helpful to this newbie.

The Coast Starlight was my first Long Distance trip on Amtrak, and is a very scenic route! By the way, Business Class passengers onboard can now purchase access to the Dining Car, while this isn't available in Coach again yet.

The Coast Starlight is a very scenic, great trip. Going northbound, you'll travel astride the Pacific Ocean for over 100 miles, wake up the following morning near majestic Mt. Shasta and travel through mountains in Oregon. You really can't beat the scenic sights along the way. I highly recommend the Starlight!

Attachments

• 996518-01P-004.jpg
    996518-01P-004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Although both directions are nice I personally prefer the northbound Coast Starlight. I may be biased because it is "my train" but towards the southern end of the route the train runs right on the edge so that you can't go any further west without getting your feet wet then the next day going thru the cascade mountains particularly between Chemult and Eugene is gorgeous. You will enjoy it.

Although both directions are nice I personally prefer the northbound Coast Starlight. I may be biased because it is "my train" but towards the southern end of the route the train runs right on the edge so that you can't go any further west without getting your feet wet then the next day going thru the cascade mountains particularly between Chemult and Eugene is gorgeous. You will enjoy it.
Would you reccomend sitting on the ocean-side of the train?

IMHO, either side in either direction will reward you with great views. Ocean, mountains, Cuesta Grade, vineyards, fruit and vegetable fields, snow in the winter season, and more. Don't sweat your choice. It's all beautiful. And there's the observation car if you're lucky to find a seat.

IMHO, either side in either direction will reward you with great views. Ocean, mountains, Cuesta Grade, vineyards, fruit and vegetable fields, snow in the winter season, and more. Don't sweat your choice. It's all beautiful. And there's the observation car if you're lucky to find a seat.
Thank yo so much! Very helpful!!

Back