Summer in Orlando

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Orlando

Service Attendant
With the coming of SunRail to Orlando, I have wondered...what would happen if the Meteors are late and come through when SunRail runs at their peak levels. What I did not consider was the summer thunderstorms, an accident, and MOW would compound what should just be a busy time into a real log jam.

Normally 97 and 98 run through Orlando at lunch time. With that schedule, the new SunRail service has slowed to two hour service in each direction. Its a chance for the MOW to try to get a little work done. Sometimes 97 and 98 meet in Orlando with the afternoon SunRail and its nice to see all the new tracks and signaling being used.

Today we had 97 and 98 both 3-4 hours late. SunRail ramped up to 30 minute service as the skies began to blacken. MOW was trying to get out of the way. Signal crews were busy with an activation failure near Amtrak/ Orlando Health. Already late and with 97 working the station, 98 held south of town at Taft yard while the first SunRail southbound came through (which becomes the first northbound at Sand Lake for rush hour). Here is where it all comes apart. Just south of Orlando Amtrak/Orlando Health, the southbound SunRail strikes a SUV. Thank goodness no injuries but the logjam is on. The skies open up as 97 goes south and the accident train and 98 sit. That was 4pm local. The southbound 97 and subsequent SunRails passed the accident train and continued on. As I am writing this the accident train has reached the southern terminus, Sand Lake, and come north.

But this whole time, now more than 2 hours later.....98 continues to sit, waiting to come north.

Last edited by a moderator:
To say the least.... today was a "perfect storm." I understand traffic lights are out on Colonial Drive and things are a mess.

Last September I was taking the Meteor north to NYP. Due to Sunrail construction, the train crew had to retire when we reached Palatka, instead of normal Jacksonville.

Bruce-SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back