Summer on the EB?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyman

Service Attendant
I'm planning my first rail trip in awhile, and my very first long distance one. From the SL, I'm trying to fit in the CS, CZ, and EB, all in one trip, if possible. I've been reading on these forums, and I think I heard this right, that it would be best to take the EB eastbound, then, since I will have a sleeper, I get wine and cheese tasting, and trivia contests, am I correct? My main concern is, how busy does this route get in the summer time?

My main concern is, how busy does this route get in the summer time?
This route gets very busy in the summer time. If you want to get close to low bucket prices on the sleeper, you should be making those reservations ASAP.

My main concern is, how busy does this route get in the summer time?
This route gets very busy in the summer time. If you want to get close to low bucket prices on the sleeper, you should be making those reservations ASAP.

If the crowds and prices are big in the summer, how are they in the winter, just in case I cant get booked in time?

any chance of seeing snow from an Empire Builder window in the middle of May?

I was on the EB mid-June last year, and saw snow on the ground in Sultan (just north of Seattle). OK, it was wet and not much of it, but still . . .

I was on the EB mid-June last year, and saw snow on the ground in Sultan (just north of Seattle). OK, it was wet and not much of it, but still . . .

I guess I could always hold out, and go in the dead of winter, to be sure and see some snow. I dont really wanna get stuck in it tho. :eek:

I traveled on Empire Builder in late June 2009. Snow was scarce except on high mountains in Glacier National Park and Mount Hood (along the Portland, Ore.-Spokane, Wash. leg of Builder).

DSC00064-2.JPG

Glacier National Park

DSC00033-3.JPG

Mount Hood

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me quote the conductor, about the EB in July 2009:

"We have a sold-out train folks, that means that every seat will be occupied, no bags or personal items on other seats please!"

It's busy but even when the train is sold-out it's far from being overcrowded.

How many days do you have for your trip?

Let me quote the conductor, about the EB in July 2009:
"We have a sold-out train folks, that means that every seat will be occupied, no bags or personal items on other seats please!"

It's busy but even when the train is sold-out it's far from being overcrowded.

How many days do you have for your trip?

Not sure yet, but I'll be going for at least a week, maybe 2. It really depends on whether I decide to take the CZ back to LAX. And its not like I'm crunched for time, so I could always push it back to winter, if I had to.

Winter on the EB is beautiful, but you can also run into major delays, bustitutions, and cancellations. And if you travel at any point between Dec. 15 and Jan. 5, the train will almost certainly sell out so it will be just as busy as in summer.

If you want to save money and have a mellow trip, and you can do it at any time, I recommend taking the EB Feb-April or Oct-November. These are months when not many folks are traveling and you should have no trouble getting tickets at the lowest bucket.

Mark

Not sure yet, but I'll be going for at least a week, maybe 2. It really depends on whether I decide to take the CZ back to LAX. And its not like I'm crunched for time, so I could always push it back to winter, if I had to.

It's always gotta be more enjoyable than on an airliner, right? :lol: Just how crowded are we talking here, btw?

Crowded on a train, usually just means you're not going to have a double seat to yourself. Meaning it's close to or is indeed sold out in coach and the sleepers are full.

Seats are nice and wide on Superliners with plenty of leg room. I always find meeting other travelers quite enjoyable as do most passengers. Since you are sitting next to someone you don't know, if traveling alone, and community seating in the diner it's a great opportunity to meet people.

Sort of related to the topic....what's the best side to sit on in coach if you're taking the Builder out of PDX headed to CHI? I'm doing this route next week.

It's lounge-car side ;)

Right side, I'd say. You'll travel along the Columbia River (on your right), and along Glacier NP (on your left, but the valley is on your right).

It's 10 years since I've traveled PDX-Spokane, so double check with the route guide.

CS, CZ, EB, in 7 days sounds close to impossible to me, in 14 days it's a nice trip.

I'd recommend you to do an overnight stop in West Glacier. I've stayed at the Glacier Vista Motel. (www.glaciervistamotel.com)

The lady who runs the Motel picked us up at the station and drove us into the park next day. So you don't need a car to get around.

And yes, she's the only person I've ever met in the very US who refused to be tipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back