Summer Travel Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
Well after seeing the train today I have gotten pumped about trains again, things have been busy lately and my railroad hobby has been pushed aside. But Im gettin back into it, and hope to take a trip this summer by train. Last year my hopes didnt come true. But things look better this year as my mom has been talking alot about a trip to Niagra Falls by train! If that doesnt go through, me and my brother were talkin about heading down to Springfield and taking a shuttle down to New Haven to ride the Acela Express to Boston and back or something, that would be awesome!

Anyways though, we had the same topic last year about this time, I decided to start it up this year to see what everyone's summer travel plans are for 2004?!

I've booked a trip out to Chicago at the end of July via the Three Rivers and Cardinal. Connectiing trains to New York, from Boston, will be Regional serivce and the defunct Federal (now Regional service as well). I won't be staying overnight in Chicago, but during the time I have between the arrival of the Three Rivers and departure of the Cardinal I will be taking a trip up to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha service. If time permits I will aslo take a ride on one of the METRA lines out of Union Station in Chicago.

Well lets see, I've already been to Chicago, Kansas City, & St. Louis on my February trip. Took the LSL both ways to and from Chicago, while riding the Chief to KC and the Ann Rutledge back to Chicago via STL.

In June it will be the Crescent to Atlanta for some train riding in ATL and Chattanooga. In July, I'm off to Toronto via the Maple Leaf and other trains. There's also a chance that I'll be back in Toronto come August.

Then in September I hope (it's not booked yet) to ride the Chief to LA, then a Surfliner down to San Diego. Return will be on the Chief, but I'll board it in Needles. Haven't yet decided how I be getting to and fro Chicago.

AlanB said:
Well lets see, I've already been to Chicago, Kansas City, & St. Louis on my February trip. Took the LSL both ways to and from Chicago, while riding the Chief to KC and the Ann Rutledge back to Chicago via STL.
In June it will be the Crescent to Atlanta for some train riding in ATL and Chattanooga. In July, I'm off to Toronto via the Maple Leaf and other trains. There's also a chance that I'll be back in Toronto come August.

Then in September I hope (it's not booked yet) to ride the Chief to LA, then a Surfliner down to San Diego. Return will be on the Chief, but I'll board it in Needles. Haven't yet decided how I be getting to and fro Chicago.
When are you going to be in Atlanta. I will be in Atlanta from june 27 to July 1st for a trip for my school.

Steve4031 said:
When are you going to be in Atlanta. I will be in Atlanta from june 27 to July 1st for a trip for my school.
I'll be in Atlanta on the 25th of June thru the 26th. Then it's off to Chattanooga for two nights, before returning to Atlanta on the 28th to catch the Crescent home.

My wife and I are taking our first non-East Coast Corridor Trip in Sept on the EB from Chicago to Seattle and then the train from there to Portland. We'll spend some time in Portland and then fly back to Chicago for a few days before returning home to Kentucky.

In July we are going to Europe (group tour) but get to ride one train in Austria.

I'll try to have reports after these trips.

I just bought a new Nikon D70 for lots of pictures.

Tom

Well I'm opening up a lot of new territory this summer. Besides my regular day trips to the Oralando area, I'm going to a trip to JAX on the Palmetto bug at some point for a ride on the S-Line. In July I'm slated to go to Chicago via 98 to JAX, 1 to NOUPT, and then 58 to Chi-town. Now with this whispering about the Supertrain it might end up being 92 to WAS and 29 to Chicago.

Wow sounds like some sweet trips going on this summer, I would love to head back to Chicago someday, that is like the Railroad capital of the country, very nice city. I dont care if I even just go on a day trip, I wanna take an Amtrak ride! Give me some inspiration and motivation for my model railroad!

Someday Amfleet, me and you should go cross country by rail, start off on the Boston Lake Shore and I will get on in Pittsfield and meet ya on the train and go to the far reaches of where Amtrak goes!! That way I will finally get to ride in Superliner equipment :D

battalion51 said:
Well I'm opening up a lot of new territory this summer. Besides my regular day trips to the Oralando area, I'm going to a trip to JAX on the Palmetto bug at some point for a ride on the S-Line. In July I'm slated to go to Chicago via 98 to JAX, 1 to NOUPT, and then 58 to Chi-town. Now with this whispering about the Supertrain it might end up being 92 to WAS and 29 to Chicago.
Why stay on 98 to jax when the sunset begins in orl?

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
When are you going to be in Atlanta.  I will be in  Atlanta from june 27 to July 1st for a trip for my school.
I'll be in Atlanta on the 25th of June thru the 26th. Then it's off to Chattanooga for two nights, before returning to Atlanta on the 28th to catch the Crescent home.
That was close. Well maybe next time. :D

engine999 said:
battalion51 said:
Why stay on 98 to jax when the sunset begins in orl?
Sean can't connect to the Sunset at all, JAX or ORL, if the Supertrain is extended into July.

Steve4031 said:
AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
When are you going to be in Atlanta.  I will be in  Atlanta from june 27 to July 1st for a trip for my school.
That was close. Well maybe next time. :D
Alan, you will have to give me a heads up, I will come by and meet you at the station :) .

Anyways, so far I have my big summer trip planned, and its fast approaching...9 days and counting. I will depart Atlanta June 8th on #19 bound for New Orleans. Then I will board #1 the following morning and head out to LA. Then that same day I will take the Surfliner down to San Diego.

Well, you can connect. Its very risky though considering the arrival is almost always an hour or more late to orl from mia.

Hoping at least for a one way run on the Starverylate from LA to Seattle sometime this summer.

Oh please, pulleeezzee :blink: Gimme a weeklong vacation for this summer! It'll be hard since I'm self-employed 7 days a week.

If I have a chance, deperately, I would ride from Las Vegas, NM, LMY, or ABQ to LAX.

On June 19 I leave for the following. Thruway bus - Chico to Sacramento, CZ to Chicago, CONO to New Orleans, 3 days in New Orleans and then back again. Due to Moffat Tunnel repairs I will bypass it on the outbound trip but go through it on the return trip.

denmarks said:
On June 19 I leave for the following. Thruway bus - Chico to Sacramento, CZ to Chicago, CONO to New Orleans, 3 days in New Orleans and then back again. Due to Moffat Tunnel repairs I will bypass it on the outbound trip but go through it on the return trip.
Aloha

Will be interested in your reactions I go east on the CZ September 15.

My rout is Starlight to Emeryville, Zepher to Chicago, City of New Orleans to NO. Rest of trip by air.

In three weeks we'll be taking the Heartland Flyer from OKC to FTW then the Texas Eagle/Sunset to LAX (sleeper), Starlight to OAK watch a SF Giants game and get back on the Starlight to PDX (sleeper) :)

Do to time restraints we'll take a metel tube back to OKC :(

If time and money permit, I'll go on the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train, although I'm not counting on it.

Well, thanks to some creative juggling of Denied Boarding vouchers and frequent flyer miles to cover the cost of flights, I'll be able to sample the Indian Pacific train from Perth to Sydney (Australia) in Gold Kangaroo service this July. I am not usually one to write trip reports, but this one might be too compelling to avoid. :D

No Amtrak plans, but I have a college course all through June which is keeping me home for a while. :(

will be in New York City (flying there from the Middle East) on June 22nd for four days; then the Three Rivers (my first time on this train) to Chicago. Then the CZ to Omaha.

Anyone in New York City at the same time?

Later this summer I m flying to Las Vegas for a few days,then taking the thruway bus toLA where I ll catch the Texas Eagle back to BWI. It helps the airport and train station are next to each other,Im taking th Eagle over the SW Chief because I get an extra day and the sleeper was cheaper thanthe SWChief...the more train time the better! I just returned from a quick Memorial day trip to Chicagofrom Harrisburg,

In mid-September I will take the Crescent from ATL to NY, the Maple Leaf from NY to Toronto, the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver and come back the same way. Two weeks solid.

On my way back I will meet with Alan and perhaps Superliner Diner for some NJ Transit touring before boarding the Crescent s.b.

Will also be joining Alan and Superliner Diner and SD's son for some train riding and touring in the ATL and Chattanooga area, late June. However that will not involve a long distance trip, for me,(but will for them, of course).

I will be taking the Adirondack from NYP to Montreal-then from Montreal i will be going to Ottawa by Via(is it correct to say via Via?) and then to Quebec City by Via and back to Nyp thru Montreal.

My 6 year old is really looking forward to it!

I haven't worked out how I'd do it, but I hope to catch an overnight or two on the Builder sometime this summer. I'll probably go from Havre, MT (I'm spending the summer near Havre) to Fargo, ND and back. Otherwise, I won't be on the Builder until Christmas time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back