Summer Travel Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
battalion51 said:
Now with this whispering about the Supertrain it might end up being 92 to WAS and 29 to Chicago.
Uh-Oh, I don't like the sound of that.

My next trip isn't until December, and based on what you may be saying (I can only guess), but hopefully on 91 and 98. But then at least I only have to wait till February for the trip after that on 97 and 98. Both are going to be NWK-ORL.

I am toying around with a couple of potential trip - both just big circles. I thought about Charlotte to Raleigh (Piedmont), Raleigh-Jacksonville (Silver Svc), Jacksonville-NOLA (Sunset Limited) and NOLA-Charlotte (Cresent).

I also thought about Charlotte-Washington (Carolinian), Washington-Chicago (Capitol Limited), Chicago-NOLA (City of New Orleans), and NOLA-Charlotte (Crescent).

Can't find a convenient time yet-pehaps in very late summer or early fall.

bmlock said:
In three weeks we'll be taking the Heartland Flyer from OKC to FTW then the Texas Eagle/Sunset to LAX (sleeper), Starlight to OAK watch a SF Giants game and get back on the Starlight to PDX (sleeper) :) Do to time restraints we'll take a metel tube back to OKC :(

If time and money permit, I'll go on the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train, although I'm not counting on it.
Good news, at least for me. I went to make my last hotel reservation today using my points and decided to checkout a few other things. I saved 60 bucks and went from mid to full size rental car in PDX. This makes it so I don't pick up the car at/near union station, but I get to take the light rail to the airport and pick up the car there. For my bay area portion I moved hotels from the east bay to near SF International making for only one BART round trip and the bonus of getting to take Caltrain to the Giants game againts the Dodgers. More train time= :D

The next trip I have booked isn't until October with my friend. It looks like this:

Fri : Ann Arbor to New York (Thruway/std. sleeper)

Sat night: dinner with our friends in NYC

Sun: full day with our friends who live in NJ

Mon: Metropark to Washington DC (business class regional)

Mon (cont.) Washington to Cumberland, Md (std. sleeper)

Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri: Golf, day trip to Harpers Ferry, Day Trip to Martinsburg, WV for WVU vs Syracuse football game, and ride the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

Sat: Cumberland to Ann Arbor (std. sleeper/ thruway)

Have you riden the Western Maryland before? I rode it about 7-8 years ago, on a lark, as I was in Cumberland on business and the appointment failed to show so I had the afternoon free. I was the only "younger" person on the train that day, along with several bus loads of senior citizens. I had my cameras and was up and about all over the place taking pictures.

On the trip back down the mountain, the conductor having seen my interest, let me sit in the cab for the trip. Quite an experience.

Enjoy!

Here's my trip schedule for this summer:

July 14: Newton, KS to Chicago, IL on the SW Chief (leaving @ 2:52 AM yuck!)

July 14: Chicago, IL to NYC on the LSL (leaving @ 7:20 PM)

July 15: NYC to Orlando, FL on the Meteor (leaving @ 7:01 PM)

July 18: Orlando, FL to New Orleans on the Sunset Ltd (leaving @ 1:45 PM)

July 19: New Orleans to Chicago, IL on the City of NO (leaving @ 1:45 PM)

July 20: Chicago, IL to Newton, KS back on the Chief (leaving @ 3:15 PM)

I was pretty nervous last year when I scheduled a trip on this route because I kept hearing how horrible the LSL was on timing, but we arrived in NYC fairly close to the scheduled time. The Sunset Limited was also cut a week before my trip last year for track maintenance, so I managed to get similar accomodations on the northbound meteor and 3 Rivers for an enjoyable trip.

I have a hotel scheduled for July 16 through 18 in Orlando this time around so I'm really hoping that I make all of my connections again. I won't fly and I won't take a bus, so it's just going to have to work out :)

engine999 said:
Well, you can connect. Its very risky though considering the arrival is almost always an hour or more late to orl from mia.
With the Super Train in effect there is no connection to the Sunset, as 92 arrives in ORL about 45 minutes after the Sunnyset leaves. As far as me going to JAX is concerned that's how my tickets are booked right now. If things go back to normal by July 18 then I will most likely change in Orlando since that's the designated change point for Meteor to Sunset passengers. Besides which I'd prefer to have my bedroom as long as possible. If the Sunset leaves from Sanford as it's initial terminal rather than Orlando (due to a late inbound #2) I'd probably change trains in Sanford.

Well not exactly summer, but I have a trip planned for October---Pittsburgh, PA. to Orlando,FL.

Leaving Sat. Oct. 23 on the Three Rivers, connecting with the Silver Meteor at Philadelphia. Arriving Sunday afternoon in Orlando, FL.

Spending the week at Disney's Boardwalk Villas, spending my evenings at the ESPN Club on the Boardwalk watching the World Series !

And maybe some beer and wings :rolleyes:

Aloha

I hav given up :( on my summer trip. I wanted to go to the NMRA convention in Seattle via LA and the Coast Starlight as to expensive. :(

I am however going to New Orleans in September via LA, Cost Starlight, Chicago via Califotnia Zepher, NOL via City of New Orleans. :D :D :D :D rest of trip by Cigar tube, er plane.

Just forced my self to make a final decision. I really need to start planning sooner than 3 weeks ahead of time.

Syracuse to Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited(reserved coach) then to Washington on the Cardinal(Viewliner Standard Bedroom). Layover one day to see some sights. Onto Cumberland on the Capitol Limited, ride the Western Maryland excursion train. Then back to Chicago on the Capitol Limited(Superliner Standard Bedroom) and then home to Syracuse. Maybe a day or two in Chicago, haven't booked the homeward leg yet.

I finally figured out my summer trip. My birthday is the last weekend in June, so I'm going to travel on the Empire Builder from Havre, MT to Williston, ND. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the Builder's birthday celebration on Saturday, so this will make up for it by having the Builder take me to celebrate my birthday. :rolleyes:

AlanB said:
I'll be in Atlanta on the 25th of June thru the 26th. Then it's off to Chattanooga for two nights, before returning to Atlanta on the 28th to catch the Crescent home.
Hi there,

Am enjoying the board discussions!

After enjoying European train travel for many years - I discovered the pleasure of Amtrak 2 years ago. I found it to be the easiest way to travel with (then) one infant, now a 2 year old plus a new infant.

With one we did the standard sleeper for our trip from New Orleans to Atlanta - for this one we got the deluxe. Hope it'll work out OK - it's just me and the two little guys so I'm hoping there's enough room.

I noticed you're traveling from Atlanta on the same day we are (Jun 28) Maybe we'll bump into ya!

Well I am going on a little Amtrak trip myself next month to New York City. I am leaving Boston on 7-14 and coming back on the 15 leaving NYC at 3am on the ex federal regional. All this to see Elton John at Radio City. And hoping also to get another round trip on the Downeaster once it has its higher speeds.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back