summer trip booked

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need more info on what to do/see in LA...we will NOT get a car, and would like to do the 'touristy' stuff...see the walk of fame, etc. and if possible without a car, to go to some beach.

I tried the link above, and think it will help me a lot, but I do not know the stuff to put in for "destination" as I don't know what/where the things to so/see are! :wacko:

Ideas? Info?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, first I look at the tourist info websites. Then, I always go to the websites for the sights I wish to see, and get the addresses from them. The trip planner only needs the starting address (L.A. Union Station is usually good enough, for example, you can often just put in the name of a well-known spot), and the address you want to go to. They will tell you what bus or subway to take, what stop to get off at, and what streets to walk. You can even download a map of the trip via google maps (click on the "public transit" icon, choose your transit option), and print it out. I do that, and then I sometimes "zoom in" on the map to see where the restaurants are, if I want to eat lunch in the neighborhood. Click on a named site on the map, and you can get reviews.

If you want to go to Santa Monica and are staying at the Metro Plaza, you can get there on Santa Monica Bus Lines ("The Big Blue Bus") Rapid Route 10 directly from Union Station to Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier. The nearest stop for route 10 to the Metro Plaza is a couple of blocks away at the corner of Alameda St. and Los Angeles Street, directly across the street from the front main pedestrian entrance to Union Station. Route 10 runs about every half hour, and takes about an hour and a quarter to go all the way, since it operates much of the way on the freeway. While in Santa Monica, you may want to check out the Third Street Promenade, with lots of shops and restaurants. To get to Hollywood, just go down to the lower level of Union Station and catch the Red Line subway directly there.

Whereabouts are you staying in MSP? The 16 bus runs about two blocks south of the Amtrak station, and connects to both Minneapolis and St. Paul. To get to the MOA from Minneapolis, just take the light rail (Hiawatha/Blue Line) down. From St. Paul, take the 54 bus. Both of those also take you to the airport.

Whereabouts are you staying in MSP? The 16 bus runs about two blocks south of the Amtrak station, and connects to both Minneapolis and St. Paul. To get to the MOA from Minneapolis, just take the light rail (Hiawatha/Blue Line) down. From St. Paul, take the 54 bus. Both of those also take you to the airport.
We have a friend in Minneapolis who will pick us up at the train station and take us to the airport, where we can rent a car, so we can return it to the airport on our way out!

Big thanks for the info about Santa Monica bus lines...will surely check that out!!

The g/f is moaning and groaning about using public transport in LA on this trip. Is there any car rental within walking distance of LAUS?

Thanks!

I don't recall seeing any, but I'm not from there (just like to walk, and have walked three directions for the station. In the fourth direction, we turned around after 1 block, didn't want to go there.). When I have taken any public transit on the freeways, believe me, I was glad that a "local" was doing the driving! Unless you're from a city where fast, cutthroat driving in heavy traffic is popular, I'd recommend taking the public transit.

I don't recall seeing any, but I'm not from there (just like to walk, and have walked three directions for the station. In the fourth direction, we turned around after 1 block, didn't want to go there.). When I have taken any public transit on the freeways, believe me, I was glad that a "local" was doing the driving! Unless you're from a city where fast, cutthroat driving in heavy traffic is popular, I'd recommend taking the public transit.
We are from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area...cut throat is normal and the "finger" is the state bird! :giggle:

Tony: Trust me! You DON"T want to Drive in LA!!! It's a Combo of Houston, Austin and DFW rolled into One,. 24/7! (with High Gas Prices!!)

If you want a Pleasant Holiday the Public Transportation in LA is Really improving all the time and @ Union Station you have Busses and the Subway right there! Leave the driving to someone else and enjoy the Sights and the time with the girl friend without the LA Traffic Hassle! ;)

Thanks, jimhudson! One Texan oughta believe another! After all, I'm from the sticks, LOL! I don't like to drive in any cities outside the northwest! Portland and Seattle, well, I can handle those... but I'll still park my car and take public transit if I get the opportunity.

The trip is fast approaching. We are putting the finishing touches on packing right now. What are we forgetting? We have about 6 feet fo duct tape wrapped around a pencil, a power strip with a too short cord (will try to get another with 5 foot cord tomorrow) a small flashlight, toothpaste/brushes, flask of vodka for the g/f, GPS, Ipad, travel size connect 4, two Groucho Marx- Private Eye books, small dvd player and headphones, camera, blow up pillows and light blankets, ear plugs, and etickets........what else?

Thanks to an AU member who is going to pick us up @ airport, and to all who have recommended where to stay/eat in LA, and to all who have given us suggestions about the CS and the EB.

In addition to ear plugs, eye masks can be handy to keep even more light out of the eyes for sleeping.

In addition to ear plugs, eye masks can be handy to keep even more light out of the eyes for sleeping.
Hope to see if a "comfort kit" is available. That way, if she wants eye mask, she has it. Enough vodka, and she won't need it! :giggle:

We are set!!

Got Vegas down, and we have a room at Metro Plaza in LA. Bought a groupon for Nick's Cafe for food one day. Anyone know if it is safe/OK to walk from Metro Plaza to Nick's cafe?

Will get breakfast and a sandwich at Phillipe on our departure day on the CS. That leaves us looking for dinner a couple of nights. Ideas around LAUS, or where we can go to on public transport?

Anyone know if it is safe/OK to walk from Metro Plaza to Nick's cafe?
Shouldn't be a problem.

Will get breakfast and a sandwich at Phillipe on our departure day on the CS. That leaves us looking for dinner a couple of nights. Ideas around LAUS, or where we can go to on public transport?
Plenty of Chinese restaurants near the Metro Plaza (which is basically on the southern edge of L.A.'s Chinatown).

Via public transit, the "best bet" I can give you is the Red Line to either Hollywood/Highland or Hollywood/Vine -- lots of places to eat in Hollywood. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd recommend Musso and Frank's on Hollywood Blvd., a few blocks east of Hollywood/Highland. To use an analogy, Phillippe's is to lunch counter as Musso and Frank's is to fancy restaurant.

We are set!!
Got Vegas down, and we have a room at Metro Plaza in LA. Bought a groupon for Nick's Cafe for food one day. Anyone know if it is safe/OK to walk from Metro Plaza to Nick's cafe?

Tony: Also plenty of Japanese Joints across I-10 towards Downtown and the Mexican places across the street from Union Station arent bad ! And Downtown close to Pershing Square (Red Line stop from Union Station)there is an International Market with tons of eating joints but they mostly are Breakfast and Lunch places!The Hollywood idea is a good one too (the Food is Good in most of those places) but it's not Cheap and you won't see any Stars there! :giggle: My favorite eating joint in LAX after Phillipes is Pinks Hotdogs but you'd need a car to go there!

Anyone know if it is safe/OK to walk from Metro Plaza to Nick's cafe?
Shouldn't be a problem.

Plenty of Chinese restaurants near the Metro Plaza (which is basically on the southern edge of L.A.'s Chinatown).

Via public transit, the "best bet" I can give you is the Red Line to either Hollywood/Highland or Hollywood/Vine -- lots of places to eat in Hollywood. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd recommend Musso and Frank's on Hollywood Blvd., a few blocks east of Hollywood/Highland. To use an analogy, Phillippe's is to lunch counter as Musso and Frank's is to fancy restaurant.
Were going to take the Red Line to do sight-seeing also. Is that a good idea? Where should we get off it for this? Hollywood/Vine?

How do we get tix for red line?

We are also thinking about "Big Blue Bus" to go to Santa Monica pier? Any info on that?

Thanks!!!!!!

Were going to take the Red Line to do sight-seeing also. Is that a good idea? Where should we get off it for this? Hollywood/Vine?

How do we get tix for red line?

We are also thinking about "Big Blue Bus" to go to Santa Monica pier? Any info on that?

Thanks!!!!!!
As a past tourist to Hollywood my choice of stop on the Red Line is Hollywood/Highland. You are right in the middle of things there.

Were going to take the Red Line to do sight-seeing also. Is that a good idea? Where should we get off it for this? Hollywood/Vine?How do we get tix for red line?
There are ticket machines at the entrance to the Red Line stations, which take cash or credit cards. Each individual ride is $1.50, or a day pass for unlimited rides is $5. I agree with Dovecote that Hollywood/Highland is a better station for sightseeing purposes.

Looks like you'd take the Route 10 Rapid bus, which stops on Alameda Ave. in front of Union Station, to the end of the line in Santa Monica. The fare there is $2.00 each way (payable in cash to the fare box).

To ride the LA Metro Rail now you need to have a TAP card. These are reusable Smart Cards that the vending machines sell for $1. Even if your just taking one ride you must buy a tap card. Single rides are only on one route (if you wanted for example to take the Red Line to the Blue LIne you have to buy two single-rides for $3, no free transfers)

Day Passes are valid on all LA Metro Buses and Rail but not Muni bus lines like Santa monica big blue bus that you pay for separately.

To ride the LA Metro Rail now you need to have a TAP card. These are reusable Smart Cards that the vending machines sell for $1. Even if your just taking one ride you must buy a tap card. Single rides are only on one route (if you wanted for example to take the Red Line to the Blue LIne you have to buy two single-rides for $3, no free transfers)
Day Passes are valid on all LA Metro Buses and Rail but not Muni bus lines like Santa monica big blue bus that you pay for separately.
Is a fare in the form of aTap card required of you are transferring to/from a Metrolink route? The last time I used a Metrolink/Metro rail combination in December 2012 a fare was not required on Metro Rail portion. Specifically it was a Orange County train on Metrolink and the Red Line train on Metro Rail.

Single rides are only on one route (if you wanted for example to take the Red Line to the Blue LIne you have to buy two single-rides for $3, no free transfers)
But since you'd be doing a round trip under most circumstances, a Day Pass is the better option ($5, or $6 if you don't have a TAP card).

Dovecote said:
Is a fare in the form of aTap card required of you are transferring to/from a Metrolink route?
I'd think they would have to be, now that the turnstiles at some Red Line stations are latched (requiring a TAP card to pass through). However, metro.net only says...

Metro and Metrolink are working together to ensure Metrolink riders have access to Metro Rail once station turnstiles are latched. Be sure to check back for more updates.

The Metrolink ticket IS the TAP card - basically the chip is activated and allows you to pass through for the entire day the ticket is active. (This is perfectly legal as any same day Metrolink ticket acts as a Metro pass - although on the bus you will need to show the driver and not tap on the reader.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back