Sun Bows on the Vermonter?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They said they found 3 "sun bows;" the rails had gotten so hot that they had twisted out of shape. Train waited in Vernon, Vt. for I don't know how long. I waited for about three hours before I hitched a ride to WRJ. (1) I thought they just redid the rails on the Vermonter route (2) it wasn't that hot today, so why did this happen?

(Also, (3) I had a ticket to WRJ and Amtrak took me to a field in Vernon. Should I bother asking for a refund?)

They said they found 3 "sun bows;" the rails had gotten so hot that they had twisted out of shape. Train waited in Vernon, Vt. for I don't know how long. I waited for about three hours before I hitched a ride to WRJ. (1) I thought they just redid the rails on the Vermonter route (2) it wasn't that hot today, so why did this happen?
As for (2), 'sun bows', or track buckling, is/are possible with ambient temperature swings. It's not always just a hot day that can cause track buckling, but also a change in temperature such as from a cool night to a warm day. Track that has been recently disturbed for maintenance is particularly susceptible to buckling.

(Also, (3) I had a ticket to WRJ and Amtrak took me to a field in Vernon. Should I bother asking for a refund?)
They just did install new rail in Vermont. While I'm not sure what parts. I believe transit54 could answer that much better then myself.

If you could give us a little more details on how you got to WRJ I'll offer my opinion of calling Customer Relations. You just mention that you "hitched a ride to WRJ" and "Amtrak took me to a field in Vernon". A little more detail could go a long ways for us to offer opinions. You don't mention if a cab picked you up, and if so did Amtrak pay for it. Or did someone you know give you a ride. Help us, help you! :)

If you could give us a little more details on how you got to WRJ I'll offer my opinion of calling Customer Relations. You just mention that you "hitched a ride to WRJ" and "Amtrak took me to a field in Vernon". A little more detail could go a long ways for us to offer opinions. You don't mention if a cab picked you up, and if so did Amtrak pay for it. Or did someone you know give you a ride. Help us, help you! :)
The train stopped in a field in Vernon and let everyone walk around and wait in the sun (which was nice of them). At first they told us we would be there for an hour, because there was one buckled rail. Then they found a second buckled rail. And then a third. After three hours had gone by, they said they had no idea how much longer it would be and they hoped they would find alternate transportation for us but weren't sure when or what. Another passenger called a friend who came to pick them up; I got a ride with them. My ticket did not cost that much, so I'm not really concerned if I get a refund, but it was disappointing. I thought the days of 3+-hour delays on the Vermonter were over.

If your ticket didn't cost that much then don't bother.
RIght. I'm more curious about these sun bows. Is the idea that no matter well-maintained track is, there is always a significant chance that tracks will get bent out of shape? Does this really happen in Europe and or even, say, the NEC, where passenger rail is done seriously?

If your ticket didn't cost that much then don't bother.
RIght. I'm more curious about these sun bows. Is the idea that no matter well-maintained track is, there is always a significant chance that tracks will get bent out of shape? Does this really happen in Europe and or even, say, the NEC, where passenger rail is done seriously?
The sun bows you encountered are usually preventable, but not all of the time, as you found out on your trip. :wacko: There are routine steps commonly taken to guard against the issue.

Track alignment and rail anchoring are inspected more frequently in hot weather. When track maintenance is performed, special attention is paid to the temperature at the time to ensure that the rail is adjusted properly to allow for the rail to "run," or expand lengthwise. When rail does "run," it can be adjusted by cutting the rail, then welding it or applying joint bars where it has been cut.

Certain operational factors can play a role, also. Slack action, heavy brake applications, and truck hunting (side to side motion) can all contribute to sun bows, depending on the ambient temperature.

I would say that there is not a significant chance of encountering these as long as established track maintenance practices are followed.

It's rare to find sun dents, but they do happen. Rails do bend under certain conditions, no matter how well maintained. I think you just ran into bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back