Sunset late?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boyce

Train Attendant
My departure from San Antonio is 6:00 A.M. Does anybody have stats on scheduled departures for the Sunset? Needless to say a I am hoping for a departure time much later.

According to Amtrak's online train status feature the Sunset Limited #2 is to depart San Antonio, TX at 6:13 AM (scheduled departure 6:00 AM) on October 12, 2003. As of the last report at 7:59 PM, between El Paso, TX and Alpine, TX, it was running 38 minutes late. If #2 remains no more than an hour late, then I would expect a departure no later than 7:00 AM tommorow morning from San Antonio, TX.

I am sorry for not mentioning it but my departure is not until Nov. 23.

Details. I would keep up with the train once it departs from LAX on the 21st. That will be your best indication, as on time performance can vary from one day to another.

yeah and the Sunset isn't exactly known for it's on-time performance either! But then again I have tracked those trains many times and I have seen it less than 30 mins late a few times - very few times.

Yep - start tracking train #2 early in its route and keep tracking it as it heads east either with the Amtrak "Train Status" page on the web or with Julie (or a live agent). The Alpine, TX departure time is a fairly (emphasis on "fairly"!) good indicator of the arrival into San Antonio - BUT - remember there is "padding" in the schedule between there and SAS, so don't go to bed assuming #2 will be 3 hours late the next morning just because it was 3 hours late out of Alpine! It could (concievably, somehow) make up an hour by the time it gets to San Antonio. So if you get an estimated departure time from the web or Julie be sure and give it some "padding" of your own and get to the station well before. The San Antonio station is nothing spectacular for waiting around, but you would much rather be 1 hour too early than 1 minute too late! Remember - the train will never leave before it's published departure time. But if it gets in late, it will leave as soon as possible, whether you are aboard or not! Be flexible - and enjoy your trip!

I know all about that. Last Sunday to catch 98 out of Ft Lauderdale I had to do 75 down the interstate (55 zone, but most do 65-70) in order to catch the train. I made it with 4 minutes to spare. Talk about lucky. Maybe I'll leave a little earlier next time. :lol:

The last time I passed through San Antonio on that train in that direction it was about 11 o'clock in the morning...and we just got later and later....eight hours late into LA. Fortunatley I fully expected that and had not planned anything really specific to do in LA that day. Was to go up the coast to SF after that and you can be sure I would never have scheduled for a same day connection event. My schedule was to leave the NEXT morning to SF .

I've said before on here and I will say it again, the airlines and buses would NEVER NEVER EVER settle for this on a regular basis.

And it has not always been that way. I remember a beautiful trip eastbound on the SL a few years before(under Amtrak) and we got into New Orleans an easy 40 minutes early. And a another trip or two as well, from NOP to JAX, right on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back