Sunset Limited and Texas Eagle: switching cars between trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by a Conductor from the Eagles that the switching crews in SAS want more hours, so the Union has pushed for making the switching moves more complicated and Amtrak wants them simplified, ie quicker and hence cheaper!
Funny you should mention that. I wondered if that was a full time job or not. Would not seem to me that it would be. Seems like there were 6 or 7 people working on things.

Might be better to have 1 and 2 consist continue on to Chicago, and have two car at the rear go onto to New Orleans. I know, I know, makes too much sense.

I note that this is a very old post. Can someone tell me what happens on the Texas Eagle 421 in San Antonio? Am I required to leave the train to go into the station (it doesn't sound like it). I'm in a roomette for the entire CHI to LAX trip. Do I have to change cars or roomettes in San Antonio? Any help is appreciated.

I note that this is a very old post. Can someone tell me what happens on the Texas Eagle 421 in San Antonio? Am I required to leave the train to go into the station (it doesn't sound like it). I'm in a roomette for the entire CHI to LAX trip. Do I have to change cars or roomettes in San Antonio? Any help is appreciated.
If you are booked on train 421 for the entire thing, you can sleep through it all.

You will either be the second sleeper from the front, or still the very last car.

As others have mentioned, you are fine. You might feel a bump as the cars are coupled together and might have a temporary loss of power.

Back