Sunset limited question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm scheduled for a trip from NOL to LAX on the Sunset. I have a roomette booked for the trip. Since it arrives in LAX at 5:30am, do they kick you off the train immediately or are you able to sleep in a bit or take a shower after arrival before disembarking??? Does the train usually arrive on time?

Thanks

It usually arrives early, and could arrive in LAX as early as 4:30. Not to worry, though, sleeper passengers are allowed to stay on board until 6:30 am

It usually arrives early, and could arrive in LAX as early as 4:30. Not to worry, though, sleeper passengers are allowed to stay on board until 6:30 am
Does this mean you can sleep untin 06:30, or does it mean you have to be off the train by then?

In the latter case, what time is the wake-up call?

You have to exit the car by 630. Wake up is when ever you feel. However usually the noise of others leaving and the crew cleaning will wake you up.

I'm scheduled for a trip from NOL to LAX on the Sunset. I have a roomette booked for the trip. Since it arrives in LAX at 5:30am, do they kick you off the train immediately or are you able to sleep in a bit or take a shower after arrival before disembarking??? Does the train usually arrive on time?

Thanks
You may want to review this THREAD from earlier this year.

I'm scheduled for a trip from NOL to LAX on the Sunset. I have a roomette booked for the trip. Since it arrives in LAX at 5:30am, do they kick you off the train immediately or are you able to sleep in a bit or take a shower after arrival before disembarking??? Does the train usually arrive on time? Thanks
As already mentioned the Sunset Limited often arrives into LA shortly after 4:00AM. As soon as the train arrives all of the coach passengers are immediately kicked off the train and onto the platform. As for sleeper passengers various SCA's will handle the situation differently. Some SCA's are good about letting people sleep in quietly while others immediately get on the public address system and/or create a perpetual racket that would be hard for most people to sleep through. Some SCA's will take care to allow passengers to sleep in but won't wake you up until there is no longer an opportunity to take a shower or clean up so be sure to set your own alarm clock. Personally I would like for Amtrak to install showers and day rooms at LAUS and other major stations so that folks in all classes of service can sleep and shower on their own schedule regardless of whatever ungodly hour the train arrives.

Remember this: You will have a total of 2 hours time change on the Sunset between El Paso and Los Angeles. Yes, the arrival time will say 5:30, and you will have to be off the train by 6:30, but it should feel like 7:30 and 8:30 to you...as long as you don't hang out in the lounge car partying until closing time the night before!

(The routine 4 AM arrivals for a 5:30 AM schedule mean that the Sunset should probably be rescheduled to depart San Antonio 1 hour 30 minutes later, namely 4:15 AM. But then, 5:30's a bit early to arrive, isn't it? So make it 7:00 AM and get out of San Antonio at 5:45 AM. Just sayin'. Maybe in a few years Amtrak will get another chance to change the schedule.)

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Daily Texas Eagle from CHI-LAX starts running,( Amtrak's 2 year deal with UP is done) it will eliminate the Layover in SAS and the need to switch the cutout cars, so a different schedule can be worked out (UP/BNSF/other Class Is and the various Local Commuter Agencies would have to be involved) for this Route!

Leaving CHI later in the day would help with connections from other LD and State sponsored Trains and arriving earlier into CHI would also help in this regards!

Lots of folks who have middle of the night and wee hours connections forget that it can't be Daylight everywhere on a LD Train Route @ the same time so usually those cities in the middle of the route have the bad calling hours!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sunset Limited train arrived 15 minutes early.

The afternoon before arrival,I asked the SCA what the procedure would be in Los Angeles. He confirmed that we could remain in one's accommodations until 6:30 A. M., but he did, gently, indicate that doing so would delay his departure from his job. (The gentleman was #3 in service attitude of the 3 SCAs I had on my Amtrak trip.) From my experience, I am sure with all of the noise and movement taking place within the car upon arrival at LAUS, one would be awakened. I am of the impression that everyone was out of the Sleeping Car within 15 mintes or so after arrival. (It took quite some time to get a Red Cap and I saw no one else leaving the train when a Red Cap was finally available.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back