Sunset Limited Rescheduling, 3/16/14

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Maned Lion

Engineer
Guys, as a few of you may know, I am scheduled to leave Los Angeles aboard the Sunset Limited on March 16th 2014. As I am sure many of you are also aware, when I booked that trip, I was originally scheduled to do so at 10 PM. Plans, unfortunately, have been changed. I got a call about a month or so ago from Amtrak telling me that the train was supposed to leave at 8PM. Fine, no problem. They gave me enough notice, number one, and while I will get two hours less time to explore the wondrous city known as Los Angeles (implied sarcasm), and I would have enjoyed meeting a few of our, uh, LAX contingent, I

Guys, as a few of you may know, I am scheduled to leave Los Angeles aboard the Sunset Limited on March 6th 2014. As I am sure many of you are also aware, when I booked that trip, I was originally scheduled to do so at 10 PM. Plans, unfortunately, have been changed. I got a call about a month or so ago from Amtrak telling me that the train was supposed to leave at 8PM. Fine, no problem. They gave me enough notice, number one, and while I will get two hours less time to explore the wondrous city known as Los Angeles (implied sarcasm), and I would have enjoyed meeting a few of our, uh, LAX contingent, I really didn't care that much, or even take much time to notice it.

Today I have gotten a curious call, however, rescheduling that departure to 11:59PM, effective midnight. That would imply, of course, that I am guaranteed to arrive into New Orleans at least two hours late. But it also makes me curious- Why is the train leaving so late? Why am I getting notice a mere 18 days before that particular trip commences, 10 days before my initial departure? And if plans can change on such short notice, whats to stop them from being changed while I'm enroute? (obviously nothing!)

I called Amtrak and got told it was due to track work on the line. Fine.

But some quicky questions: The first question is, and I think I know the answer, if the train gets cancelled while I'm enroute (and it is part of an AGR reservation) I assume there would be no problem getting it rescheduled onto the Southwest Chief/City Of New Orleans? I mean I would really like to ride the Sunset- I get the feeling it might be my last chance to ride that particular train. I also tend to assume that passenger loadings are light enough this time of year that it shouldn't be a big problem getting at least Trans/Dorm space on the SWC and CONO on short notice.

And also, I am fairly flexible, of course- I run my own business, and I'm not really worried about me firing myself for being late, or docking myself pay, or anything like that- but I'm traveling with a friend who is flying out of PHL the morning after we get home on the Crescent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scheduled to ride the Sunset Limited in June. Did they say anything about how long the rescheduling would be in force?

The Sunset should be back on its regular 10PM Departure from LAX by then/ the Track work Schedule is Temporary! But remember to always keep track thru Amtrak/ call in advance to be sure! (1-800-USA-RAIL)

You should be able to make up time after you depart SAS . Temporary schedule is only due to track work and you be fine after you leave San Antonio . Any more info I be so helpful . Also I know the crew going on cause we behind them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back