Sunset Limited Westbound Observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a one way trip on the Sunset Limited from Houston to Los Angeles. This was my first overnight "real" Amtrak trip so I have a few observations (in no particular order):

Booked a full bedroom; for me this is the only way to go overnight as the roomettes appeared too small for two adults.

Our itenerary was exactly on time at every stop; even earlier into LA. Departed every stop on time.

The Amtrak staff on the train were very friendly and efficient. Our bedroom bathroom light was out and the sleeping car attendant moved us to another bedroom by her accord so we could take a shower with light.

Our consist included a Cross Country Cafe car (instead of the traditional dining car which I thought we would have) which was very nice; although the meals were served on plastic style plates; but with real cutlery and cloth napkins. Is this standard in the regular dining cars?

The flat iron steak that everyone kept writing about is not worth 22.00; but is was very tender; more like slow cooked roast beef. The food was very good; but nothing really exceptional.

Our sleeping car was apparently a Superliner 1 car, it seemed to be partially refurbished; had the new shower fixture handle but the old push button for the toilet. The vanity was also the old type, but the hallways had the new wood look paneling. The berths and carpet in the room were blue, I found the room to be fairly clean but a little on the worn side. 1st night did not sleep very well with the long layover in San Antonio, second night slept like a rock in the top berth....actually liked this better than the bottom.

Would I do this again?? Without a heartbeat....Yes. I really felt like I journeyed somewhere instead of just getting on a plane...and the scenery was fantastic. Also it was very relaxing compared to flying.

Thanks for the report and welcome to AU.

I feel the same way about traveling on Amtrak.

When I travel with my wife, we get a bedroom.

Whne I travel alone, I get a roomette.

I hope you travel again soon.

Glad you enjoyed the trip,the journey is the thing!The SL is not Amtraks best train,there is lots of opinions about this,hope you get to try them all,thats what most of us would like to do and some folks have actually done it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back