Sunset Ltd 2 Just back from trip 1/29-1/31

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I can tell you lunch into New Orleans apparently is a crap shoot. The lounge car attendant was supprised we had a modified early lunch. Lunch was 10:30 AM first come first serve for an hour. He said most of the time there is no lunch.

Bedrooms are soooo worth the price. I got to have nice little afternoon naps.

What is the meaning of life? :unsure: :blink:

Oh, sorry, you meant questions about the Sunset. :lol:

Actually I heard one person say not to use the bedroom showers because the bathroom is wet the rest of the trip. I was concerned about the toilet paper since the flap thingy would not stay down (duct tape which I forgot) but I rolled it up so nothing hung down and it stayed dry. I also had my own stock of better quality stuff too. Amazingly the bathroom dried up in only an hour or two...perhaps because I had showered in arid west Texas.

I can tell you lunch into New Orleans apparently is a crap shoot. The lounge car attendant was supprised we had a modified early lunch. Lunch was 10:30 AM first come first serve for an hour. He said most of the time there is no lunch.Bedrooms are soooo worth the price. I got to have nice little afternoon naps.
This is an ongoing problem on #2. The LA crew wants to be the first to hit the platform in NOL. IF you call LAX ticket office and ask for the On Board service manager for the Sunset you may get a positive response for those who follow behind you with either no lunch or early, early lunch. I've only been trying for 5 years to get breakfast served on #20 out of NOL. Just last month they opened while we were stopped in Picayune, Ms~ over an hour and fifteen minutes out of NOL. The Manager of On Board Services reply? "Oh, I thought they were supposed to serve once all the tickets were lifted." Apparently the NYP based diner crew added their own version~ "Once the tickets for those boarding at Picayune are lifted". If the managers don't ride enough to see these trends they will NEVER know unless someone tells them just what is taking place.Please help your fellow passengers! :)

I can tell you lunch into New Orleans apparently is a crap shoot. The lounge car attendant was supprised we had a modified early lunch. Lunch was 10:30 AM first come first serve for an hour. He said most of the time there is no lunch.Bedrooms are soooo worth the price. I got to have nice little afternoon naps.
This is an ongoing problem on #2. The LA crew wants to be the first to hit the platform in NOL. IF you call LAX ticket office and ask for the On Board service manager for the Sunset you may get a positive response for those who follow behind you with either no lunch or early, early lunch. I've only been trying for 5 years to get breakfast served on #20 out of NOL. Just last month they opened while we were stopped in Picayune, Ms~ over an hour and fifteen minutes out of NOL. The Manager of On Board Services reply? "Oh, I thought they were supposed to serve once all the tickets were lifted." Apparently the NYP based diner crew added their own version~ "Once the tickets for those boarding at Picayune are lifted". If the managers don't ride enough to see these trends they will NEVER know unless someone tells them just what is taking place.Please help your fellow passengers! :)
So how do you contact the LA Ticket office?

Since I never got a response on how to contact the LA Ticket office I called the 800 number and asked for the customer service desk. I explained what happened and he put me on hold while he researched it with someone. Apparently Breakfast is to be served on this leg of the route until 10:30 AM and lunch is not to be served at all going into NOL.

breakfast starts at on 20 when train pull of station until 10AM GOING NORTH!

Last edited by a moderator:
breakfast starts at on 20 when train pull of station until 10AM GOING NORTH!
Since I never got a response on how to contact the LA Ticket office I called the 800 number and asked for the customer service desk. I explained what happened and he put me on hold while he researched it with someone. Apparently Breakfast is to be served on this leg of the route until 10:30 AM and lunch is not to be served at all going into NOL.
I would bet my Saints Jersey that it doesn't happen every trip :lol:

Not true...Alan has said many times that you can call the 800 number and get as many opinions as there are agents at the other end of the line. Call and ask for the On Board Service manager's name and phone number and you will be getting somewhere. Just the other day I called at 3 P.M. and asked for the estimated arrival time of #2 into New Orleans which is 4 p.m.). The agent's response? We have a train #20 in NOL but no #2. When I insisted that there was a #2 she said, "Well I'm on the East Coast~ how do you expect me to know about a train #2 in NOL?" (word for word) She put me on hold and said the train was running on time; #2 actually arrived 2'05" late and was running late most of the trip. (strongly suspect she just made up the "on time.") Last trip on #2 we were early into NOL and still had lunch served. You have to remember when the cat's away the (OBS crew) mice will play or not play in this case. The 800 number can supply you with the LAX ticket counter # and maybe, just maybe, the OBS Managers number if you talk to customer service.

how's this for a question:

Did you continue on the Sunset all the way to Florida??

I should have asked for the on time status to Orlando. :lol:

I should have asked for the on time status to Orlando. :lol:
Which Century? :rolleyes: :lol: :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes: :lol: Aloha

No I terminated in NOL, spent the night and flew home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back