Sunset LTD 4 times a week

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guest said:
April 15th would not make sense for four days a week, since the new Amtrak timetable and all the changes are effective on April 27th. Also there is nothing planned for marketing this type of change in schedule.
Look at the International train going back to the Blue Water no marketing going on with that This is info i got from an engineer that runs train 1&2 out of NOLA this is his reg job. :)

It is simply not in the new timetable, so although it may be planned for the future, it will not happen at the next timetable change ....no matter what the engineer says. Sorry.

battalion51 said:
Sorry Alan bout my missing the TPA sleeper (I knoew it didn't look right). There's one thing that sets the LSL apart from Silver Service though, you need a different type of engine to go into NY. Down here in these parts it's the same stuff no matter which way you go. As far as it "Being more moves" is concerned, it's two extra throws of a switch in JAX to do this. Here's what would happen:
Combined train (let's say 87 is the JAX-ORL-MIA side and 97 is the JAX-LAK-TPA side) 87/97 pulls into JAX on track 1. Fuel up both ponies while mechanical seperates cables between the two engines and the coaches of 87 and 97. Once fueling is completed whack the lead engine (for 97) have it pull down to the 2 to 1 switch. Throw the switch, back the engine up past the switch. 87 departs. Throw the switch back to let the engine for 97 back onto Track 1. Restore the switch 1 to 1, back up, do your brake test and then depart. It's not much more complicated. Also, this way you only need two ponies to do the job instead of three. It would also require to wye the engine nightly so it's pointing in the right direction the next day. This is just a lot easier for all parties.
Traditionally, Amtrak operated its TPA section (of either train which was split at JAX at the time) over the A-line via Orlando. And the MIA section usually, operated over the S-line via Ocala and Wildwood and bypassing TPA. At one time, one of the trains operated as a full train from JAX over the A-line to Auburndale, where there it was split into its respected TPA and MIA sections!

If Amtrak would return to splitting the trains (at least at JAX), they could open up the door for better oprotunities for both Amtrak and its customer base! Badly needed direct service from ORL to TPA needs to be considered! The TPA market has traditionally been more situated on those cities which the A-line served at the time and now. The MIA market has traditionally been more situated on those cities which the S-line served at the time and now as well. But now, Amtrak has gained a viable MIA area market on the A-line, and it would be foolish to cut it (MIA service). The present location of the newer current Lakeland station, however, poses a wonderful situation for Amtrak! In my opinion it would be wise to operate the "Palmetto" over the A-line via ORL to TPA (instead of the current S-line) and continue on to MIA as it does now. Split both the "Star" and the "Meteor" at JAX, and operate the TPA sections of both trains via the A-line and the MIA sections via the S-line. Keeping in mind the location of the LAK station, it could act as a switching point for connections (providing the trains are scheduled properly) throughout the Florida rail network as all six trains (the split "Star" and "Meteor" and full "Palmetto") would have to pass here! This would allow for multiple direct departures and arrivals from ORL to TPA. Allow for daylight service on the S-line! And rerouting of the "Palmetto" would still allow the A-line to have direct ORL to MIA service! Amtrak would also be better able to gain on the local Florida markets they once had with improvements thanks to the location of the LAK station now as opposed to the old one. The Florida Rail Pass program which Amtrak intitiated would take off considerably!

For example, if a passenger wants to travel from say DeLand to Fort Lauderdale, they can either travel on the early AM departure of the "Palmetto" and go directly there via TPA, or if they desire a later departure they can travel on the "Star" (which would be the TPA section) down to LAK and switch to one of the MIA sections and continue on to FTL. This passenger has a choice of what and how they want to get there. While Amtak still offers direct daylight service on the A-line to TPA via ORL. And with daylight service on the S-line, in the event of any local (Florida) TPA service it could still be accomplished with the LAK switching point (there was/is never much market for TPA between there and JAX on the S-line, anyway)! Nobody "likes" to switch trains, however, if layovers are short and switching trains is "made" convienient, then most passengers wouldn't mind in my opinion. LAK is in the right place, right in downtown, and if trains are scheduled correctly then all business would occur here mostly during the daytime hours.

Now of course a lot would be involved to make this happen, such as reopening TPA crewbase for T&E and OBS. Reopen TPA mechanical facility, and some rescheduling and bargaining with CSX for track time, and restaffing of stations, and not to mention baggage situations as well. Many other numerous situations would need to be resolved, too. But in my opinion this kind of arrangment could happen if Amtrak really put their mind to it. Oh and I didn't mention the benefits to the long distance passenger if Amtrak were to return sleepers to the "Palmetto" as well as return to basics and keep TPA a key metropolitan area on their route. There a lot of new cruise lines being based down there in TPA area. Of course we all know this means money!!!! I am rambling......out...... :lol: :D

I would like to see the Sunset increased, however, I don't see it anytime soon. There are too many other trains, where this badly needed wreck repaired returned equipment, needs to be placed. And as one poster stated, it is too soon towards the April timetable for this to occur, unless Amtrak (which is known to be fickle) decides to go ahead right after the fact. Anything, truthfully, wouldn't really surprise me as nothing really does anymore!!! :lol:

Since it's daylight, why run through coaches? Why not make Jax-Tampa a seperate train with a "through sleeping car" a la Pullman. Then the trains could be run like this:

P-42

Tampa Baggage

Tampa Sleeper

Miami Sleeper

Miami Sleeper

Diner

Lounge

Coach

Coach

Coach

Coach

Coach

Crew Dorm

Miami Baggage

...with the P-42 and the Tampa cars pulling on to the other track, where a Jax-Tampa train with three coaches and a lounge is waiting. Coach pax can then cross the platform while an engine is attatched to the Miami section. In other words, three moves: Tampa section pulls forward, then reverses to attach to the coaches, and a Miami engine is added. Easier than anything else suggested, and also provides through sleeper service, which presumably is better than through coach.

Aloha

Just asked Amtrak resveration's a few minutes ago to see if this would chang arival/departure in New Orleans from Los Angles. My Co is paying for a trip to a confrence Saturday - Thursday including Direct airfare. All extra cost are mine, so far all routs that include the train are stagering, like 1500.00 extra.

:(

Having done it back in the "old days", I can tell you that, indeed, you could split a train either in JAX....running a section down the "S" line to Miami, and a section down the "A" line to Orlando and Tampa. When I started back in 1975, this was exactly what was done with a combined "Meteor/Champion" in the "off-season". The Chicago/Florida "Floridian"...former "City of Miami/South Wind", received the same treatment.

On the other hand, the "Silver Star" remained intact through Orlando, splitting into St. Petersburg and Miami sections at Auburndale

Back in the old Seaboard days, both the "Meteor" and "Star" split at Wildwood into MIA and TPA/STP/Venice sections.

But, I'd be willing to bet if another train came to be, it would certainly go through Orlando in some fashion!!

From the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back