Sunset Restructuring...Why?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Martin

What good does restructuring the Sunset do? I mean the delays come from the freight traffic. I don't see how just splitting the train in NO or rescheduling the days would do too much. Plus, would splitting the train in NO require more train sets?

Also, the Sunset had the distinction of being the first true transcontinental train--a single passenger train that went from coast to coast in the USA. I liked that. There should be enough passengers on both legs of the trip--as well as those who might want to travel all the way--to keep the train going as it is. Although it would be helpful for the train to operate daily and to be more on time more often.

The train will not be able to stay on time with UP in the meltdown condition it's in right now. A couple of years ago the Sunset COULD run on time, and would be pretty close to it many times. But it's been down hill, and for right now it doesn't make sense for the whole route to suffer when better service can be had on the eastern side, leaving the rest to melt. Salvage what you can.

Restructure?!

You have got to be kidding! As long as it is at the mercy of the freight trains in its path, the idea if restructuring makes a much sense as udders on a bull! :lol:

I think the idea behind the restructuring is that if you lay over the trainset in New Orleans for a day in either direction, it's like resetting the delay back to zero. That way neither the UP nor the CSX can claim "out of slot" treatment for the delays. Why Amtrak hasn't started a massive PR campaign to inform the public of the problems they face on the route is beyond me. (The only way to get the UP to change is to threaten their stock price.) I'm hoping this move is part of a larger plan to take on larger issues like getting better funding for rail infrastructure.

-Firebert

The observation from battalion51 is a good one: that the viable parts of the route have to be isolated from those in meltdown. Inserting a one-day delay at either new Orleans or San Antonio sounds like a good way to implement it. What would the ridership be if the Sunset Limited were to run everyday?

Embarking on a public campaign would not work, because nobody cares about the Sunset Limited in the larger scheme of things.

I remain confused on the UP issues; perhaps someone can help me with them.

First, the number of UP freight trains backed up and sitting on sidings all over the country is obvious to anyone who looks. I’ve heard there is a massive shortage of crews.

Second, I understand that UP recently purchased the Southern Pacific complete with an enormous infrastructure renewal project, which is taking years to complete.

Third, every time I overhear radio conversations between Amtrak engineers conversing with UP dispatchers (which are apparently far away in Omaha) while stranded on UP tracks somewhere, I hear no evidence that UP is trying to make life miserable for Amtrak passengers. Instead, I hear only discussions about how best to accommodate Amtrak’s needs without completely ruining UP’s freight business. It appears to me that the problems with UP are only a manifestation of the more general problems with the U.S. infrastructure. UP seems to be at some kind of basic disadvantage.

I've heard Gunn say on TV that it's not a problem between Amtrak and the UP's operations people. It's issues with management. I think they're trying to force too much traffic over the network and that's what's causing it to choke up. The UP didn't dig itself into this hole in a day, so don't expect it clear up as fast either. Capital investment dollars are scarce across all railroads so the UP needs to spend them wisely. At some point I hope they cross a threshold where they can run Amtrak on time to get the maximum trackage rights payment from Amtrak and use that additional revenue to invest in further upgrades. I'm thinking that it could have a snowball effect where on time trains leads to more revenues, to where Amtrak will push the Sunset back to daily service, which then leads to more revenue from track use. Doesn't everyone win in that scenario?

-Firebert

Back