Super Train extension?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I'm hearing rumors from mid-level managment that there could be a possible extension of the Super Train beyond it's June 23 expiration date. The reason for the extension is not because of Nahunta SD trackwork, but rather on the Miami Sub. Right now it looks like there will be a 1000-1500 and 2200-0500 curfew in effect so that the jerks at Herzog can catch up on their Construction deadlines. Nothing for sure at this point, but keep your ear close to the wall for whispering.

Maybe Herzog should have thought about how long it would actually take to lay an extra track, before making promises. It dosen't take an rocket scientist(even though there are a few down here) to figure out maimi sub is buzy with trains all day. Between CSX, Amtrak, and Tri-rail there is not much down time. Battalion, any idea when the curfew might be lifted? Wouldnt it be better to just have an earlyer departure of the star. ;)

My guess is the curfew would be in effect until much of the track work is done. A lot has to be done between Yamato-Boynton and Seaboard (Palm Beach International)-Mangonia Park. I think that's the biggest concern area right now, but then focus will shift to Dania-Hollywood and Hollywood-Miami Plantation.

Have the began to install the second track at yamato, continuing the old passing siding?

Some track is down going north, but it's a complicated little animal since they have to do a cut/throw switching the new track from the west side to the east side of the current main.

Have they started on the nes station in Boca, that is going to be south of the current one I believe. Its been a while scince Ive been down there.

The new station on the South side of Yamato Rd. is starting to go up. There will be no double track between Pineapple and Yamato til the old station is demolished.

I would have thought they would build the new station earlier so they can get rid of the old one which is blocking the right of way for the new track. ;)

Bringing back a semi old topic here guys. I spoke with a friend today who works for Amtrak, he said that they have not posted their jobs up for bid, which is necessary for the schedule change to occur. This means there is definitely an extension of the Super Train beyond the June 17 schedule change. Two dates have been heard for possible change dates, those being July 7 or July 20. As I hear more info I will pass it along.

I hope the extension is as short as possible. Bring back the the Meateor, and let Herzog deal with the penalties of their delay. :angry:

Unfortunately the State will side with Herzog on this one, they want the project done ASAP, and it looks like they're willing to let their passengers and Amtrak suffer for Herzog's shortcomings. Then again the State is letting their passengers suffer all the time since Herzog staffs all Tri-Rail trains.

Looks like they've got the website reservation system set to July 7 now because I can't see the Meteor before that date... unless I'm doing something wrong. I hope it's the 7th :) If not, I hope they are reasonable on schedule changes and accomodations for those that will have to rework their vacations.

What will probably happen is that it's been updated to the 7th for now and it'll go back to the 20th if necessary.

battalion51 said:
Unfortunately the State will side with Herzog on this one, they want the project done ASAP, and it looks like they're willing to let their passengers and Amtrak suffer for Herzog's shortcomings. Then again the State is letting their passengers suffer all the time since Herzog staffs all Tri-Rail trains.
Thats how everything in this state is. You would almost think they take the contract of the highest bidder. There are plenty of other admendments that the state has failed to follow up on. It surprises me they are in a rush. I feel bad for the Boston folks who had/have to deal with the "BIG DIG".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back