Superliner Bedroom luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many luggages can you take with you in a Superliner Bedroom please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always take a carry-on size suitcase and a full backpack. Suitcase fits under the chair and backpack goes on the chair at bedtime. There is also a small closet to hang a few things.

There's lots of room, depending on how many people are in there. When my ex-boyfriend and I had a bedroom, we were able to fit two carry-ons, two backpacks, and my purse in there and still had plenty of room to move around.

We put the suitcases under the "couch", and the backpacks sat next to the chair. When we needed to open the door to the bathroom, we just moved a backpack to the area by the sink.

When the couch was moved into the bed position, we stacked the suitcases on the chair.

Thanks everyone.

So whats the limit on how much luggage you can bring into the room? As much as you can fit ?

Thanks everyone.

So whats the limit on how much luggage you can bring into the room? As much as you can fit ?
Officially, every passenger is allowed two carry-ons and their various personal items (laptop bag, medicine bag, purse, etc), but unofficially, if you can get it onto the train yourself, you're free to bring it.

There's an upcoming carry-on baggage policy change which will set the carry-on limit at two for free and for each additional item there will be an extra charge.

It's still in the planning and I don't know if it will be tested on a route or two at first or if it will roll out all at once. It's my understanding that the conductors will collect the fees and it's expected to be enforced as increased revenue.

That is very interesting. I wondered how long it would be before stricter enforcement of the carry on luggage rules would take place. With the large storage area on the lower floor sometimes people seemed to pack a lot of larger bags down there and fill it up by the time the CL reached Cleveland. We never have more than two bags each and only one is very large but there have been times when it was necessary to place the larger bag in the hallway or drag it upstairs. Perhaps this will encourage people to stay within the baggage limits. :unsure:

For people traveling on LD trains, I know that many sleeper passengers will throw larger bags in the downstairs rack, and just bring smaller stuff to the room(ette) as needed. If limits were enforced in any way, how many more people would used checked bag service, going to or from stations where it was available. It would also create a double standard, I can check a bag because I get on/off at X, you get on/off at Y, so you can't. I could just see a 275 passenger regional Richmond-DC-NYP with one conductor and one A/C trying to collect bag fees. Right.

It is important to emphasise that you can leave suitcases out of your bedroom on a storage rack downstairs... Of course, it would be silly to leave anything valuable or important there, but the luggage I left seemed very safe, I never knew of any problems.

Ed :cool:

Excellent points about the Routes where there is no checked baggage and the Stations are unstaffed versus those that are staffed and have checked baggage!

And will the Conductors be able to handle this extra workload on the heavily traveled corridor/commuter routes in addition to handling tickets, boarding, detraining and running the train?

And what about the Stations where large groups and large numbers of passengers board the LD Trains including the use of Redcaps such as Chicago,WAS NYP,LAX,EMY,FTW,SAS,SEA, the AutobTrain etc. ? It could overwhelm the Conductors on busy travel periods such as Holidays and Seasonal Migrations !

Won't this policy lead to even more delays and poorer OTPs for the Trains?

Ideas????

It is important to emphasise that you can leave suitcases out of your bedroom on a storage rack downstairs... Of course, it would be silly to leave anything valuable or important there, but the luggage I left seemed very safe, I never knew of any problems.
I have not heard of any intentional thievery, but I did hear that a passenger grabbed a bag that looked like his. He found the mistake before the owner knew it was missing and reported it, but I have no idea how the swap was effected.

And what about the Stations where large groups and large numbers of passengers board the LD Trains including the use of Redcaps such as Chicago,WAS NYP,LAX,EMY,FTW,SAS,SEA, the AutobTrain etc. ? It could overwhelm the Conductors on busy travel periods such as Holidays and Seasonal Migrations !
Don't those stations have checked luggage available for LD trains? And on the AT, people simply leave their extra luggage in their vehicles? While I see there being additional work for the luggage handlers, I don't see why it would affect the conductors.

Limiting carry-ons, by charging, IMHO, is a good step. I have seen too many passengers badly abusing the system. For example, I remember some lady appeared to be moving by way of Amtrak, coming on-board with several of the largest pieces of luggage I have ever seen. She also made some nasty comments, rather loudly, when she found someone else had dared to put a piece of luggage in the racks (it was me), when she planned on using all that space for herself. I am sure this isn't a rare occurrence.

I have not heard of any intentional thievery, but I did hear that a passenger grabbed a bag that looked like his. He found the mistake before the owner knew it was missing and reported it, but I have no idea how the swap was effected.
I and another passenger on the SWC each had a bag "accidentally" removed at Fullerton. I spotted it on the platform from my roomette. Our SCA went and retrieved both. I think it was an over-zealous passenger "helping" out...apparently, he thought all the luggage on the deck (rather in the rack) was staged there to be removed at the stop.

Actually got a clarification on this last night. So it looks like they're looking at having the LSAs handle the excess baggage fees, not the conductors.

Makes sense as I realized too that the conductors don't carry credit-card machines anymore.

In my experience, most Amtrak personnel I have observed do a pretty good job of making things work. Some way some how, everything gets stowed, whether in a coach or sleeper. There are always going to be an isolated slacker, or a passenger who tries to take advantage, or just plain stupid, but overall, it is just not that bad.

Actually got a clarification on this last night. So it looks like they're looking at having the LSAs handle the excess baggage fees, not the conductors.

Makes sense as I realized too that the conductors don't carry credit-card machines anymore.
When did conductors carry credit card machines?

Did they use to have that functionality on the iPhones and now they don't?

Like pvd I'm wondering if this will only be for LD trains? I don't think it would be fair on the corridor where there is no checked baggage. Frankly it's not really fair on the LD routes to those that board at a stop or detrain at a stop without checked baggage.
It also seems like a nightmare to enforce.

I think on the whole if you have baggage rules they should be enforced. At present AFAICT they are not enforced too much charge or no charge.

The unfairness regarding those traveling to locations without checked baggage is already present in the currently unenforced carry on baggage rules. Nothing in that changes other than actual enforcement and charging for excess.

When did conductors carry credit card machines?

Did they use to have that functionality on the iPhones and now they don't?
For a few years, maybe 2011-2012, conductors carried these big, bulky cellular credit-card devices.

Currently the Amtrak iPhones do not have this functionality.

Not to mention, in the NEC, you are going to tell a passenger to stand in the café line for 15 minutes to "pay his baggage fees" and then you are going to remember to go back and f/u on it. !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back