Superliner III's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know when the Superliner III's should come out? Including the ones built specifically for long-distance service? And also, I know that Nippon Sharyo will build the commuter ones going to Illinois and California, but that's on hold right now. However, is it known who will build the Long-Distance ones?

Also, why not create Superliner Baggage Cars and bag-dorms rather than just a bunch of Viewliner II baggage cars? Superliner baggage cars would be able to hold more baggage, AND make a Superliner train more aerodynamic.
The answers to the questions is See the recently published fleet plan. No. No.

Single level baggage cars are preferred because it requires considerable additional equipment to effectively use an upper deck as a baggage car.

For a train running mostly at 79mph and occasionally a little faster aerodynamics is not a huge issue. For a foamer like you perhaps aesthetics is a bigger issue than aerodynamics anyway ;) And that is easy to take cre of using some non structural fairings at the one single break between single level and double level in the train.
but also, if I can't be a loco engineer
Come out here you won't be a foamer long..

On the subject of Superliner III's the OP may be waiting quite a while before he see's them but the factor of loss by damage from accidents and derailing may need to be considered by congress in 2017. Consider the recent CZ derailing where 5 Superliners ran off the tracks and onto their sides. Beech Grove has done a remarkable job of rebuilding and maintaining Superliner equipment but the fleet has been depleted over time. The big question is; at what point does the fleet run out of storage/backup equipment? When that question is answered only then may we see Superliner III's enter into the discussion. I find it odd that the "good ole boy" club in Washington spends many billions on foreign wars and yet little on improving the passenger rail system.

On the subject of Superliner III's the OP may be waiting quite a while before he see's them but the factor of loss by damage from accidents and derailing may need to be considered by congress in 2017. Consider the recent CZ derailing where 5 Superliners ran off the tracks and onto their sides. Beech Grove has done a remarkable job of rebuilding and maintaining Superliner equipment but the fleet has been depleted over time. The big question is; at what point does the fleet run out of storage/backup equipment? When that question is answered only then may we see Superliner III's enter into the discussion. I find it odd that the "good ole boy" club in Washington spends many billions on foreign wars and yet little on improving the passenger rail system.
When did the CZ derail recently? The wreck this month was the SWC.

If Nippon-Sharyo ever manages to deliver the "Surfliner IIs", that will alleviate the pressure for Superliner coaches, and also cafes. There appear to be enough transdorms still. Dining cars, sightseer lounges, and sleeping cars are potential shortages; I'm not sure which is the most acute shortage, but I do know none of them is anywhere *near* as acute as the shortage of single-level rolling stock. Even when the Viewliner II order is delivered, Amtrak will badly need more single-level sleepers, a huge number of single-level long-distance coaches, and a large order of Viewliner observation/cafes (Amtrak has never really ordered any, and they'd be a major selling point).

If Nippon-Sharyo ever manages to deliver the "Surfliner IIs", that will alleviate the pressure for Superliner coaches, and also cafes.
Nippon Sharyu, where are you?
Scooby-Doo-Where-Are-You-The-Original-Intro-scooby-doo-17020817-1067-800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still surprised the Superliner Coach / Baggage cars still isn't enough capacity that they need a dedicated baggage car.

P1000535 by B H, on Flickr

IMG_0868 by B H, on Flickr

How much none passenger baggage freight such as Amtrak Express does a typical train carry?
Not enough, frankly. Amtrak sort of threw out the baby with the bathwater when it gave up on the mail & express business, and that was a mistake. Any express shipments which do not unduly interfere with operation of the train contribute badly needed revenue to the bottom line.

In an ideal world (and passenger rail is very far from that!) Amtrak would acquire some specialized cars to handle express business, rather than trying to make it work "on the cheap" hauling boxcars at 79 mph.

That's what I was thinking. California is about to return whatever it has leased from Amtrak in the bi-levels arena. It is almost inconceivable that they will now fund leasing additional Superliners from Amtrak. So I figured that seat38a was just being facetious ;)

We can probably expect that there will be no more BAG-Coaches built. That being said maybe take those trains ( not routes if possible ) that have smaller loads and place 1 - 2 - 3 bag coaches on train and do not run a V-2 bag. Leaves spare V-2 bags for special needs.

That's what I was thinking. California is about to return whatever it has leased from Amtrak in the bi-levels arena. It is almost inconceivable that they will now fund leasing additional Superliners from Amtrak. So I figured that seat38a was just being facetious ;)
Because of the constant delay of the new cars. The new bi level cars are becoming like Berlin's new airport. God only knows when it will be finished.

We can probably expect that there will be no more BAG-Coaches built. That being said maybe take those trains ( not routes if possible ) that have smaller loads and place 1 - 2 - 3 bag coaches on train and do not run a V-2 bag. Leaves spare V-2 bags for special needs.
They seems to be quite useful on split trains such as the Empire Builder. The bags for the PDX portion is stored in the coach baggage while the Seattle portion has the baggage car. I'm sure this is how they do it for the other trains that split up along the way like the Eagle and LSL. Not sure what they are going to replace the coach baggage cars on these routes when the wheel falls off the last of these cars.

Back