superliner or viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new railrider I was wondering if the sleeper cars from Philadelphia to Orlando are Viewliner or Superliner class. Can anyone help me please? :unsure:

I can't tell you off the top of my head. but if you go to www.amtrak.com and act like your gonna buy tickets it'll tell you. you can also look under "routes" and it'll tell you.

peter

Edit: I just looked, You'll be on the silver service wich is single level; so that would be viewliners.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you'd like to try Superliners to Florida, you take take the Auto Train from Lorton, VA (near Washington, DC) to Sanford, FL (near Orlando).

Then there is this----tunnel clearances in some places, such as the Big Apple, prohibit superliner heights.

And any train you would board out of Philly would have come from NYC.

The auto train, originating in Lorton, Va., of course has no such problems as height/tunnel restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must take a car on the Auto train too. Cannot be a passenger without one.

Also, "double deck" type of equipment by whatever name, ie. Superliner today, hi-level or "dome" in the past--has often been associated with scenery as well as tunnel clearances or lack of same.

Pre-Amtrak, most of the trains with domes went from Chicago to various West Coast destinations.

Sure, thre were some others, such as St. Louis to Texas points, Washington to Chicago, Chicago to Miami, Richmond to Miami-----but most domes and later hi-level (on El Capitan, from CHi to LA) were longer distance "out west" routes.

Suh developments both referred to what was usually considered to be more spectacular scenery, (i.e. mountains, deserts, etc) but the unrestricted tunnel clearnances also contributed to domes or other such "double deck" being largely on those routes.

Of course there is a completely unrelated double deck design in commuter trains but that was about piling as many people on board as possible,not about scenery!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back