Superliner Sleeper Restrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many shared bathrooms are there per sleeper car? Taking first rail vacation on both EB and CZ next June in a roomette.

On my recent trip to Los Angeles on the Texas Eagle,the bathrooms in our sleeping car was out of service. So everyone in our sleeping car had to use the coach bathroom except for me. The bathroom in my bedroom was the only one working. They fixed some of them in Fort Worth and the rest in San Antonio. Lucky me!

There is also one shower room on the lower level in addition to the bathrooms.

On my recent trip to Los Angeles on the Texas Eagle,the bathrooms in our sleeping car was out of service.

I normally only ride on the NEC but did ABQ-FLG (coach) and FLG-LAX (sleeper) within the last month. All of the restrooms in my car were out of service on each trip.

For ABQ-FLG, they tried to fix the bathrooms at ABQ but had no success. I felt bad for the mobility impaired people in my car who had to climb up the stairs, then back one car, and back down the stairs to access a working bathroom.

For FLG-LAX I was in the family bedroom. The SCA let us know none of the public bathrooms in the car were working (not sure if this also applied to the bedrooms).

Not a big deal for me but I was surprised to find this twice in a row.

I normally only ride on the NEC but did ABQ-FLG (coach) and FLG-LAX (sleeper) within the last month. All of the restrooms in my car were out of service on each trip.

For ABQ-FLG, they tried to fix the bathrooms at ABQ but had no success. I felt bad for the mobility impaired people in my car who had to climb up the stairs, then back one car, and back down the stairs to access a working bathroom.

For FLG-LAX I was in the family bedroom. The SCA let us know none of the public bathrooms in the car were working (not sure if this also applied to the bedrooms).

Not a big deal for me but I was surprised to find this twice in a row.
That’s the first time that’s ever happened to me in all my years riding Amtrak.

Paying a premium price for a bedroom and then having to use a public restroom (especially if it is all the way in coach) should qualify for a substantial refund or an even more substantial credit voucher that can be used for a future trip. If this should even happen to us, we would call Amtrak Customer Relations and politely explain the situation, emphasizing that as seniors with mobility issues, having to make our way through the train at night to answer a call of nature in a much used restroom that was probably not in the cleanest condition is not what we had in mind when we opted to reserve a high-priced bedroom with its own toilet.

(Expecting the best but planning for the worst, we always pack along a few disposable urine bags with the idea that if we have them, we won't need them and vice versa.)

Paying a premium price for a bedroom and then having to use a public restroom (especially if it is all the way in coach) should qualify for a substantial refund or an even more substantial credit voucher that can be used for a future trip. If this should even happen to us, we would call Amtrak Customer Relations and politely explain the situation, emphasizing that as seniors with mobility issues, having to make our way through the train at night to answer a call of nature in a much used restroom that was probably not in the cleanest condition is not what we had in mind when we opted to reserve a high-priced bedroom with its own toilet.

(Expecting the best but planning for the worst, we always pack along a few disposable urine bags with the idea that if we have them, we won't need them and vice versa.)
Yes we were told to call Amtrak Customer Service and compensation will be given, I just haven’t got around to it yet.

I hope these bathroom outages are not the norm. As one of those who is mobility challenged, this might be my worst nightmare. 🥴
At a gathering some years ago, the restroom in our coach died and the conductor locked it and told everyone to use the next car. I use a wheelchair, and he gave me his key for my private use and said "don't flush."

Back