Superliner Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
An discussion going on elsewhere in this forum over Amfleet's designs brings up some questions.

How much water does a Superliner Sleeper carry?

Is there only one water supply or several?

How often does the water have to be replenished?

How is the hot water for the showers heated?

How many showers can the system handle?

Where does the used water go?

Amtrakwatcher,

While I can't answer all of your questions, I can tackle a few of them.

How much water does a Superliner Sleeper carry?
That's one I don't know, sorry.

Is there only one water supply or several?
Yes, there is only one tank.

How often does the water have to be replenished?
There is no easy answer; it really depends on how many people are on board the train. Along with how many use the shower and how many times do they flush the toilet.

Anytime Amtrak has a major stop, 15 minutes or more, they usually re-water the train at that stop. The Capitol Limited for example, would start with full tanks at DC. During the stop in Pittsburgh, the tanks would be topped off, and again in Toledo they would be topped off.

How is the hot water for the showers heated?
An electric hot water heater.

How many showers can the system handle?
Do you mean simultaneously? Probably 3, max 4. Or did you mean over the course of an hour? Probably 6 to 7.

Where does the used water go?
The tank that holds all wastewater, nothing is allowed to fall onto the tracks.

Keep in mind though those retention tanks are never emptied en route. So while you get more water en route, you don't get the emptiness you start out with, and you have to have a place to put all the waste. One FYI, Auto Train refills at Florence when they stop for the crew change in the middle of the night. GASP! I thought they never stopped, yes they do actually stop at least once a night. Sometimes additional quick stops will be made to drop off mail at a station but those are quick. The AT locomotives are also refueled at Florence.

Interesting.

Is there some kind of indication somewhere the water tanks need to be filled, or are they just topped off at the long stops?

Where are the tanks?

Three time when I was on the Empire Builder, the hot water went away going west out of Spokane; it had worked well before Spokane. Each time the conductor told me someone had neglected to "turn it back on" after filling the tanks Spokane, and that he would turn it on at the next stop. What does this mean? Is there ar circuit-breaker or a valve that can only be reached from the outside, or am I missing something?

Sometimes (not very often) I see a "honey truck" sucking out what is obviously human waste from one of the sleepers on one of my frequent long tips in the western U.S. Is this some kind of -if you'll excuse the term- "emergency dump" not normally performed in-route?

Are they filling those tanks with water from a garden hose or is it "purified" water from a seperate holding area?

The Auto Train does indeed stop in Florence and I remember because the stop would always wake me up. I remember on one trip we were about an hour from Sanford but apparently we were not going to make unless the engines were refuled. So two tank trucks drove along that little dirt road and refuled us practlly in the middle of no where.

I know a garden hose is used, however it could be from a purified source, or maybe a purifier on the equipment. I knew about the Crew Change/Refueling/Rewatering at Florence prior to this, also due in part to the fact Florence has the hoses. I believe several other stations have the water along the route including Richmond, Savanah, Jacksonville (Silver Service, South of WAS).

Chief, I find it interesting that they've switched the Lounges. How was it running prior to that?

BTW: Whats the Typical Auto Train Consist?

Amtrak Watcher said:
Is there some kind of indication somewhere the water tanks need to be filled, or are they just topped off at the long stops?
I'm honestly not sure if there is, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there is an indicator.

Where are the tanks?
They are on the lower level at the ends of the cars, behind the Family bedroom and the handicapped bedroom.

I can't answer the last two questions, sorry. Maybe someone else knows.

The typical Auto Train consist before the derailment last April would be as followed:

- 2 P-42 Loco's

- Transition Sleeper

- 3 Sleeping Cars

- Auto Lounge

- Dining Car

- 3 Sleeping Cars

- Dining Car (Coach)

- 3 Coaches

- Auto Train Lounge

- 3 Coaches

- Dining Car (Coach)

Now it is running like this:

- 2 P-42 Loco's

- Transition Sleeper

- 3 Sleeping Cars

- Auto Lounge

- Dining Car

- 3 Sleeping Cars

- Dining Car (Coach)

- 4 Coaches

- Auto Lounge

Sightseer Lounges have been used numerous times as replacements if one of the Auto Lounges goes in for matainence. They have been used more often after the derailment, but don't expect them to be perminent.

How many Auto Racks (approx)? Also I thought the Coaches used to run with a Sightseer lounge and the FC was the Auto Lounge, am I wrong? How many Deluxe Sleepers are in each of your counts?

The Coast Starlight has extended layovers in San Luis Obispo CA both directions for crew change and train servicing as needed. They always water the dining car. I have never observed water being added to a sleeper. The water is potable (obviously), but is not filtered or any other special feature. The hoses resemble "garden" equipment, but are obviously not. They have "gas pump" style nozzles.

Viewliner said:
How many Auto Racks (approx)? Also I thought the Coaches used to run with a Sightseer lounge and the FC was the Auto Lounge, am I wrong? How many Deluxe Sleepers are in each of your counts?
There are about 15-20 Auto Racks. Yes, in 1997 before the Auto Train Lounges were built Sightseer Lounges were used, but then discontinued and utalized on other trains (a wise choice considering most of the ride is in the envening anyway when you can't see anything). There are two deluxe sleepers per set (maybe one after the derailment). One is located directly behind/in front of the diner before the 2 regular sleepers and the other is behind/in front of the lounge before the 2 regualr sleepers. The first class section goes like this:

sleeper

sleeper

deluxe

lounge

diner

deluxe

sleeper

sleeper

On the California cars there is an indicator light near the conductors panel on one of the doors that has several lights one of which indicates the water tank is near empty and one that indicates that the waste tank is full. They are similar to the check engine, brake lights on a motor car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back