Superliners New Paint

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner

Train Attendant
Has anyone else noticed that the word SUPERLINER is missing underneath the upper level windows with the new paint scheme on the Superliners? It's been replaced with a very small version underneath the number of the car. Looks bare considering the word SUPERLINER has been there since the first ones were placed into service back in the 70's. Also, missing next to the number is what type of car it is. For example, Phase IV shows Sleeping Car 32000. The updated phase just has the number 32000.

The CZ which stops here averages about 1 out of about 10 Superliners with the new paint scheme.

Here is a pic I have found on the net showing the changes:

http://www.4rr.com/AMTRAK/super_001.htm

I did notice this, I saw quite a few of these new diners when in Chicago two months ago. They are very attractive looking. :D

Attractive, that's not what I'd call em. But we did have a discussion on the new paint scheme a couple of months ago, the discussion can be found here.

Well, I never liked the big "Superliner" writing all over the center of the car, but I dont think it would hurt to add some more color to the car now that it is gone.

I am going to take a stab here and say that the word Superliner was left off as a cost saving measure, but I could be wrong. The silver backing that was used to cover up Phase III is peeling on most Superliner I's and you can see some of the old stipes.

Well, that's more of an SI thing than an SII. For some strange reason the paint adhered better on the SIIs than it did on the SIs.

After looking at the page you linked to Superliner, i do have to say that I like the new scheme on the louge cars (except for the safety stipe) and only the lounge cars. Other cars in the new scheme seem too bland, while that lounge looks pretty good.

As one who was not terribly impressed by the appearance of 32053 I must say that the new scheme does look good on the lounge car.

I did notice this, I saw quite a few of these new diners when in Chicago two months ago. They are very attractive looking.
So far only one Superliner Dining Car has been painted into Phase VI and that is 38033. I like the new scheme and it stays consistant with the rest of the repainted cars (Amfleets, etc) The word Superliner under the window band always seemed a little to much for me. The Phase VI Superliners also look better with the Phase V P-42s.

Amfleet said:
I did notice this, I saw quite a few of these new diners when in Chicago two months ago. They are very attractive looking.
So far only one Superliner Dining Car has been painted into Phase VI and that is 38033. I like the new scheme and it stays consistant with the rest of the repainted cars (Amfleets, etc) The word Superliner under the window band always seemed a little to much for me. The Phase VI Superliners also look better with the Phase V P-42s.
I guess they must have not been all diners.... :unsure: . I could have sworn I saw more then 1 though.

Apperience wise, I always thought the Phase IV painted superliners went along the best with Phase III Genesis Locomotives, even though that the schemes are much different, I dont know why I always thought that arrangement looked very sharp. I dont mind the Phase V genesis anymore, I am starting to like them! I would prefer a constant blue paint job on the top of the locomotive though as apposed to the current "wave".

Phase IV on Genesis also looks sharp as well I think! But nothing can compare to Phase III in my opinion.

Anyways getting to the superliners. They didnt look that good in Phase II or III, thats mainly due to the bit to gaudy Superliner markings on them, other then that they looked fine.

Phase IV is great on the Superliners I think, good lettering all around, I kinda like the Superliner lettering on the side.

Phase IVb, hmm Im not quite sure what to make of it on the Superliners. It seems a bit lacking overall in my opinion, I kinda liked the car type and number in large, actually legible lettering!! But it could be much worse.

At least they are getting them fixed up and back in service!! I dont care if they painted them completely pink, as long as they were serving Amtrak! (though man Pink would be UGLY! :p )

How is the Superliner situation progressing though, is there an adiquite supply of them now adays. After checking out a current roster, I was suprised that there was a big shortage, I mean Amtrak has ALOT of Superliners!! But maybe alot of them on the roster were out of service or something.

Is there a website that lists Amtrak's current roster of it's Superliner fleet? Would you mind sharing the link?

Thanks.

You can find the very detailed Superliner roster here. P40Power, since there were 42 Superliners awaiting repair last July and there are 37 awaiting repair this July then around 8 have been rebuilt. I believe 1 Dorm, 2 Sleepers, 1 Diner, 1 Lounge, 1 Coach Smoking, and 2 Coaches have been rebuilt or the equivilant of one long-distance trainset. Pretty darn good job if you ask me.

Amfleet said:
...since there were 42 Superliners awaiting repair last July and there are 37 awaiting repair this July then around 8 have been rebuilt.
Hm? ;) 42-37=5...

Anyway, have the car indications "Sleeping car," "Coach," "Lounge," etc. been taken off completely on this new paint phase, or are they just relocated. These indications are very important in verifying positioning when these trains pull into the stations. The Amtrak computers OFTEN display the wrong consist order (at least they do for the California Zephyr). I would imagine that removal of these indications could only make the situation even worse.

jccollins said:
Amfleet said:
...since there were 42 Superliners awaiting repair last July and there are 37 awaiting repair this July then around 8 have been rebuilt.
Hm? ;) 42-37=5...

Anyway, have the car indications "Sleeping car," "Coach," "Lounge," etc. been taken off completely on this new paint phase, or are they just relocated. These indications are very important in verifying positioning when these trains pull into the stations. The Amtrak computers OFTEN display the wrong consist order (at least they do for the California Zephyr). I would imagine that removal of these indications could only make the situation even worse.
Well I think the car type indications are where the should be and that is right next to the door entering the car. As for my bad math, well I was kind of stretching it. I know from the old OTOL roster that there were 8 cars repaired, but that page is no longer up and the new roster does not list rebuilt Superliners yet.

The car type indicators are located next to the door, but are in much smaller print then they previously were.

The following photo (taken by tp 49 I believe) shows where the new car indicator has been put. Notice above it there is the word "welcome", a word found on all Phase VI cars. and a word that has no use on the cars, but waht can I say? Seriously, who would pay attenation to that?
ek_3-2.jpg

Yeah I agree, the "Welcome" thing is a bit corny. Did the lava lamps have the Welcome lettering on the side?, because Im not quite sure but I think I remember the business class car having it.

P40Power said:
Yeah I agree, the "Welcome" thing is a bit corny. Did the lava lamps have the Welcome lettering on the side?, because Im not quite sure but I think I remember the business class car having it.
Ya, the Lavas had the "welcome" sign too. I think it is Amtraks's fake way of greating you onboard. Just like how flight attendants give you that fake and somewhat evil smile as you step onto an airplane. It means nothing to them and you just push on by thinking, "Give me a break".

Jeez, they arent too enthusiastic to "welcome" you either, the writing is SO TINY! They also dont want people to have easy identification of the type of car with the little car type writing!

Amfleet said:
As for my bad math, well I was kind of stretching it. I know from the old OTOL roster that there were 8 cars repaired, but that page is no longer up and the new roster does not list rebuilt Superliners yet.
Well personally I thought that the number of wrecked Superliner cars was higher than 42, but then I'm not really sure of that.

However since I saved the old OTOL page before it went belly up, I can tell you without a doubt, that prior to July 1, 2003 there were a total of seven damaged Superliners returned to service.

They were:

32019 Superliner I - Sleeper

32032 Superliner I - Sleeper

32053 Superliner I - Sleeper

32065 Superliner I - Sleeper

33015 Superliner I - Lounge

34035 Superliner I - Coach

39044 Superliner II - Trans/Dorm

As for the old pages on OTOL, they will eventually return. There is a contract that prevents posting them for six months sadly. Just one more example of corporate bullys. They tell you that they don't want you and your website anymore. But oh, by the way you can't use that stuff on a new site either, even though we don't want it.

Thanks, SBC. :angry:

Thanks Alan and according to photos on this site Diner 38033 also recieved a rebuild. So that is a grand total of eight rebuilds (like I thought) and I believe one or two more are to be completed by the end of Spetember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back