Supertrain.. really something to witness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

I recently had to spend about 6 weeks in Southern Pines and after reading about the Supertrain here in the forum decided to go down to the station to see it for myself. I am glad that I did!!

I am also glad that I called ahead each time because #91 was usually 1 to 2 hours behind because of the track reconstruction I assume.

In any event, talk about big--imagine standing on the platform and the locomotive(s) coming at you so fast it looks like it isn't even going to stop at the station. Eventually it does slow down and stop. The train is so long that the train crew, (this is a crew change stop) takes a shuttle van from the station down the main street a few blocks to get to where the power unit is. I imagine that it is a security issue, it is dark at that time, as well as a convenience issue for the new and old crews.

Went down to see the train come in and leave a few times and have to admit that I wished I had the time available to jump on and go!

Quite a sight--see it while you can!!

The Super Train really is quite a site to see. It reminds a lot of people of the old Florida trains that were almost always 20 or 21 cars EACH! :blink: A part of me can't stand the Super Train because of the crappy schedule, poor timing, and length (it's a really big pain in the butt to walk that whole train, although it pails in comparison to the trains Matt has to walk). But the other part of me says, man I wish every train Amtrak runs could be like this. It's a love-hate relationship, for me anyways.

The train really is one of the oddities that no one would never expect to see again. I know that most of the stations north of ORL can carry the length of the train without a problem, but it has proven difficult getting all the pax informed of the correct boarding locations. It seems to vary depending on the day and how many sleeper pax and baggage is aboard.

John

it is also fun to work on hehehe

feels like walking up hill in a football stadium.

I agree is is something to see and a oddity but like all railroad oddities it has pass into railroad history.

The Silver Service is back to normal.

what do I say Amen!!!

:D :ph34r:

RidesOften

Fla trains are fun!!!!!!!

The Silver Meteor is Finally Back! :D

Unfortunately Today's 97 is 2:27 late as of its NWK departure (left NYP 2:29 Down).

Todays 98 departed on time but as of Savannah is 2:20 down. :(

The important thing is that the Silver Meteor is back! :D B)

Viewliner said:
The Silver Meteor is Finally Back! :D
Unfortunately Today's 97 is 2:27 late as of its NWK departure (left NYP 2:29 Down).

Todays 98 departed on time but as of Savannah is 2:20 down. :(

The important thing is that the Silver Meteor is back! :D B)
AMEN!!!! :lol:

Yeah "Rides," are ya ready for more "Meatball" fun? :lol: :D

I got to go out last week to Sanford and doubled back the next day.

As I expected, the people were really friendly, with some great conversations.

Didn't get to spend much time mingling. I was spending the day with the dancer and had a Deluxe room! :D We had breakfast in the room, got to know each other and spent the evening at Pleasure Island!! :D

I have some great memories!! :wacko:

Miami Joe B)

I personally am convinced that Sanford is one of if not the best bases in the whole system. The T&E crews are really nice, Mechanical is amazing at best, and their managers care about their employees, and a little thing that is the product that their train produces. While talking with a Conductor from Sanford yesterday he told me I really needed to take a trip on the Auto Train because it's like no other train in the world. It's easily the cleanest best maintained train in the system, plenty of perks including meals in the price of all tickets, not just first class and so on. I think if they can get some new carriers to eliminate the upcharge for SUV's and Minivans that will be a big boost for business, it will simplify the loading and unloading process, make switching A LOT easier, and give a better image of Amtrak and Auto Train. I'm still debating whether to ride it next summer or ride Silver Service and Regionals to Springfield.

battalion51 said:
I personally am convinced that Sanford is one of if not the best bases in the whole system. The T&E crews are really nice, Mechanical is amazing at best, and their managers care about their employees, and a little thing that is the product that their train produces. While talking with a Conductor from Sanford yesterday he told me I really needed to take a trip on the Auto Train because it's like no other train in the world. It's easily the cleanest best maintained train in the system, plenty of perks including meals in the price of all tickets, not just first class and so on. I think if they can get some new carriers to eliminate the upcharge for SUV's and Minivans that will be a big boost for business, it will simplify the loading and unloading process, make switching A LOT easier, and give a better image of Amtrak and Auto Train. I'm still debating whether to ride it next summer or ride Silver Service and Regionals to Springfield.
The Auto Train is one of Amtrak's nicer trains, especially on the east coast, and in fact it just brought me to Florida yesterday. By and large they have the best crews, although I have hit two employee's on the AT who shouldn't have been there. Both worked in the diner, one probably would have been ok on another Amtrak train, the other shouldn't have been working for Amtrak at all. :angry:

The AT is certainly interesting in that, long before the so-called supertrain, the AT already was a supertrain. Coming down we had 15 passenger cars, including the dorm. That's more cars than the Silver Supertrain. Then throw on the auto carriers and this is easily Amtrak's longest train.

One place that I disagree B51, is on the surcharge for SUV's. Even with new carriers, I see no reason that passengers shouldn't pay a premium to have their large vehicles carried. They weigh more than a car, they take up more space than a car, and while it may not be a lot, they make Amtrak burn more fuel to move that extra weight.

Motorcycles pay less than cars for transport, so why shouldn't cars pay less than SUV's & vans?

There is certainly no shortage of SUV's & vans on the AT, I see plenty every time I've gone. In fact my last trip, I was driving a van. The first time and this time I just have my car with me.

Having new carriers may simplify things for Amtrak, especially with loading & unloading, but I see no reason to drop the surcharge.

Joe, I personally believe the whole reason they have the surcharge on oversize vehicles is to discourage people from brining them since they have limited room for them in the few Van's they have. The weight factor to me is neglible, but we'll see what Nardelli and his people decide to do.

battalion51 said:
Joe, I personally believe the whole reason they have the surcharge on oversize vehicles is to discourage people from brining them since they have limited room for them in the few Van's they have. The weight factor to me is neglible, but we'll see what Nardelli and his people decide to do.
Joe? :blink:

What did Joe say about weight factors? :unsure:

That was my opinion. :lol:

battalion51 said:
SUVs, trucks, and vans should be charged a premium surcharge and continue to do so! They ARE heavier and will generate a higher fuel consumption in the long run. Fill your car/truck up full of junk in the trunk/in the bed and drive it some distance say MIA to JAX and back. And then, drive the same route under the same conditions without that load, and you'll notice a considerable difference in gas milage. I know this being a frequent traveler over the road most of my life. Keep in mind that alot of people using Auto Train have their cars filled up full of stuff (being there is no checked baggage) even in the traveling compartment of the vehicle! You may be right in regard to your opinion, though. But I believe in my opinion that the fuel does matter in this day in age.

I will add one more thought. If Amtrak sees the majority paying a certain price for a service, then they can show a demand and keep that price active for as long as the business is there. Auto Train is not hurting in the "demand department" when it comes to how good its business is! :D

Well the requirement should be changed then based on weight. Currently Amtrak's rules have to do with ground clearance, height, etc. If the rules for oversize vehicles were changed to cars between x and y weight get this charge and vehicles at y and up get a higher charge, then I'd be happy with it. Because there are vehicles out there like the Scion xB and Chrysler PT Cruiser whose weight could be argued to be closer to that of a car than a SUV or Truck, but they have the height of an Oversize. If the fares were stipulated by weight then I'd be happier with the charge continuing.

Heck Bat51, I am surprised Amtrak hasn't decided to start charging "overweight passengers" a premium fare (such as if they are big enough to occupy two coach seats) similar to some of the airlines do! LOL :lol: :D

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Heck Bat51, I am surprised Amtrak hasn't decided to start charging "overweight passengers" a premium fare (such as if they are big enough to occupy two coach seats) similar to some of the airlines do! LOL :lol: :D
Im sure there considering it. :lol:

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Difference is that a passenger would have to be quite a bit larger to completely fill one coach seat on Amtrak unlike the airlines. Sometimes I feel like I'm too large for one airline seat, and I've only got a 36" waistline. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back