Surfliner load on a Thursday morning in August (Del Mar Traffic)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbmiflyer

Service Attendant
Hi folks,

My son and I are planning to take the surfliner from LAUS - San Diego on a Thursday morning in August.

I have read on here how much surfliner traffic increases when Del Mar is in session. Is this more of a weekend thing or are Thursday's bad also?

Which train is most impacted. We were thinking of taking 566 leaving LA at 8:30 and rolling through Solana Beach an hour before gates open and three hours before the first race. Should this train have normal ridership?

Thanks for your help

Take Business Class, worth it during the craziness that is racing season @ Del Mar! Otherwise Coach is fine on the Non- Reserved Surfliners!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Take Business Class, worth it during the craziness that is racing season @ Del Mar! Otherwise Coach is fine on the Non- Reserved Surfliners!!
I take this route weekly and can tell you business class will sell out so you need to book weeks early. I'm having to play musical chairs since del mar opened last week with my reservations.

Rode last Saturday and coach was quite busy on 774 already north of LA. Business class was sold out. The Superliner car (2nd from the lead north of LA) was actually quite empty. Although the train was busy it seemed to be with more casual riders (less regulars) so it appears the secret of the Superliner and it's large legroom space had not gotten out. As the door didn't open at station stops people didn't venture into it. The other Surfliner coach cars had at least a single in each pair of seats if they weren't fully occupied.

Just note the prices for both coach and business will be slightly higher until race season is over. I know the fare from OXN to BUR was about $5 more than usual each way.

Rode last Saturday and coach was quite busy on 774 already north of LA. Business class was sold out. The Superliner car (2nd from the lead north of LA) was actually quite empty. Although the train was busy it seemed to be with more casual riders (less regulars) so it appears the secret of the Superliner and it's large legroom space had not gotten out. As the door didn't open at station stops people didn't venture into it. The other Surfliner coach cars had at least a single in each pair of seats if they weren't fully occupied.

Just note the prices for both coach and business will be slightly higher until race season is over. I know the fare from OXN to BUR was about $5 more than usual each way.
The 700 series trains are always busy. The conductors tell people to choose the 500 series train next time if they are not going north of LA. But in your case, it was also a Saturday and the 700 series gets busy with people going to Santa Barbara. Especially on three day weekends the practically the whole train empties out at SBA. No with the door on the Superliners seem to be based on how many people in that car are getting out. If there is a lot of people, one of the conductors will open it up. When not busy the will not.

P1000406 by seat38a, on Flickr

Ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like we will plan on business class.

Any other advice for either LAUS or San Diego? We are getting in the night before on the CS and staying at the nearby Metro Hotel.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Looks like we will plan on business class.

Any other advice for either LAUS or San Diego? We are getting in the night before on the CS and staying at the nearby Metro Hotel.
Keep in mind that with your business class tickets, you'll be able to get into the Metropolitan Lounge on the second floor at L.A.

The Metro Plaza is across from Union Station, is a good deal for the money and close to a must see/eat, Phillipe's Original!!!

Both cities have good light rail and plenty to do and see, Google up info on what y'all are interested in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back