Surfliner Schedule and Utilization

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmorechris

Train Attendant
I am possibly looking at a trip to California and looking at taking the Surfliner from Los Angeles to San Diego. I was surprised to see the lack of a southbound departure from Los Angeles between 5:10 pm and 8:30 pm (M-Th only, on FrSaSu there is a southbound departing at 7:10 pm) so I did a little searching, and came across this report from caltrans. On page 9 of the pdf, it shows ridership and equipment turns for the surfliner. It shows that the 4:10 pm southbound departure from LAX has the third highest ridership while the 5:10 pm departure has the highest ridership of all trains (it should be noted that trains which start or continue north of LAX in general have higher ridership than trains running only between LA and SD.) It would seem to me that having a 3 hour gap after those two highly patronized trains isn't the best thing. I would guess that a 6-630 pm departure from LA to SD would have significant ridership.

Now, looking at how equipment is utilized, there needs to be 3 trainsets in SD to cover morning departures. The earliest southbound departure north of LA is 768 from Goleta to SD, which turns to be 579 northbound (dep SD@1:25 pm) to LA (arr 4:05 pm). This train could be a 6-6:30 pm southbound from LA to SD and then lay over in SD. Then, you have an extra trainset in SD. I would then propose turning 784 (SB from Goleta to SD) for a 10 pm northbound to LA. This could replace the existing bus service to LA departing SD at 10 pm.

This plan should get all the equipment where it is supposed to be, but are there any other issues that keep this from happening? Is there commuter or freight traffic that would cause a problem for a 6 pm departure from LA to SD? Is it a lack of money or was it studied and shown there isn't a need? Just curious what others think or know about the topic

I would imagine that the Metrolink trains that serve the same line to Oceanside for commuters might be part of the issue.

From there south is the Coaster.

Maybe the state doesn't want to look to be in direct competition with the commuter lines that it also partially funds.

Maybe they've decided there really isn't a need. They do have the Fr/Sa/Su at 7:pm

Maybe it is equipment and you've solved the problem.

For your own trip and timing see if a Metrolink/Coaster combo serves you better. They intersect at the same spot in Oceanside.

While I'd agree that commuter trains on the Metrolink Orange County line are probably at fault (there are still single-track sections), taking the train to Oceanside is unlikely to resolve the travel problem, as San Diego's commute runs the opposite direction. Coaster's last reverse-commute train is at 5:35.

There are political reasons at play here, also. There are several on-line communities that object strenuously to the trains. Quite a few years ago when electrification was being considered, regardless of all other positives or negatives, the final nail in the coffin was that it was opposed as being "visually intrusive" by several of the on-line cities. (What happened to air pollution concerns?) Likewise, there has been a political promise that the line will not be fully double tracked. The continued single track segments constrain both the maximum number of trains and reductions in run time.

The fact of the matter is that the line can never be fully double-tracked without massive destruction. The beach and bluff running aside, you'd have to take out a lot of buildings in the urban areas to add a second track. This is why an inland route, more conducive to Metrolink running, has been on the table for some time.

The fact of the matter is that the line can never be fully double-tracked without massive destruction. The beach and bluff running aside, you'd have to take out a lot of buildings in the urban areas to add a second track. This is why an inland route, more conducive to Metrolink running, has been on the table for some time.
:eek: :eek: We are talking Fifteen Feet more or less. Most of what you are saying sounds like the nonsense put out by the opposition.

:eek: :eek: We are talking Fifteen Feet more or less. Most of what you are saying sounds like the nonsense put out by the opposition.
Aloha

Just off the top of memory the only urban area that to me because of the historical buildings around the San Juan Capistrano Station that you could not double track. Andi seem to remember from the next station towards LA all the way to LA is double track. And that is probably the bizziest part of the line.

Y'know, in planning my travels, I'm not concerned with what could be, or with what should be.

Yes, everything should fit my schedule. Yes, equipment should be as I want. Yes, LAX-SAN should be fully double tracked.

Since those things aren't gonna happen, I concentrate on things as they really are and plan accordingly.

We are talking Fifteen Feet more or less.
Easy to take out of a parking lot, but not out of a building.

And, once again, if you don't believe that, let me know how you're going to lay down those tracks on the bluffs or along the ocean front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back