Surfliner Work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak has budgeted for the overhaul of 17 Surfliner cars this fiscal year. I'm not sure just what work the overhaul entails, although I believe that it is the lowest basic, least amount of work overhaul. As of the end of December 2 cars had been completed and released back to California, although 4 were supposed to have been done by that point in time.

And, they take them to Beech Grove for the repairs. Here is one sitting there as I photographed it last year.

270953814_Ba5Fo-L.jpg

Do they sell coach seats on those cars for that trip?
Nope - they don't. When I was on the SWC last month they had a deadhead coach going back to Beech Grove on the end. No passengers allowed. Screwed up being able to look out the back window!

I don't think you would want them for long distance. I believe Surfliners are not near as comfortable for long distances than Superliner coaches.
I agree with you. The seats are fixed, which means no reclining position.
BZZZ!!! Wrong! The seats do recline! But not nearly as much as those in Superliners, and they're much closer together, and a little narrower - 3-4 hours is about max. time for most people on a Surfliner. Also, fewer restrooms per passenger on a Surfliner.

Try 3-4 hours on a Comet. Thats unpleasant. 3-4 hours on a surliner would be cake compared to that!

I don't think you would want them for long distance. I believe Surfliners are not near as comfortable for long distances than Superliner coaches.
BZZZ!!! Wrong! The seats do recline! But not nearly as much as those in Superliners, and they're much closer together, and a little narrower - 3-4 hours is about max. time for most people on a Surfliner. Also, fewer restrooms per passenger on a Surfliner.
I tried to find a button that control the pitch of the back rest and there are none. Where is it?

I rode on a Surfliner between LAX and SAN that had a lone revenue Superliner car in the consist. I'm sure people thought I was wierd, but I walked between the two cars several times and got a very good feel for the differences.

Yes, the Superliners have more seat pitch and leg room and they recline farther, but in nearly every other aspect, I preferred the Surfliner car (and that's where I planted myself after I did my survey), since the seats were cushier (thicker, less worn-out cushions) and the decor was cheerier.

However, for long distances, I'd need to go back and test the recline. I might pick the Superliner car if it has a substantially better recline, since I have a hard time sleeping straight up.

Yes, the Superliners have more seat pitch and leg room and they recline farther, but in nearly every other aspect, I preferred the Surfliner car (and that's where I planted myself after I did my survey), since the seats were cushier (thicker, less worn-out cushions) and the decor was cheerier.
One of the things I don't care for in Surfliner cars is the harsh lighting. They have two rows of direct fluorescent lights traveling the entire length of the car, just as many subway cars have. If they'd switch to indirect lighting it'd be a lot more pleasant, to my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back