Surprised nobody is talking about the NEC...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
Does anbody know how smoothly things are running on and around the NEC so far with the Blizzard? I'm surprised that we already have 3-6 inches here (not to mention 6+ by Trenton) and I haven't really been hearing about disruptions.

As for NJT, their website states the following thus far:

-From 2 pm Sat to 11:59 pm Sunday NEC trains will run hourly and MidTOWN Direct Trains will operate to/from Hoboken with trains departing at NY Departure Times, PATH will cross-honor at Hoboken and 33rd Street

Also as a side note, I've heard on trainorders that there have been some problems with freezing equipment especially electric locomotives, where trains 189 and 649 were cancelled, and the Three Rivers #41 ran with an electric in the lead and a diesel trailing so the electric could be cut at Newark, and 41 running with the diesel the rest of the route. I do remember a while back seeing something like this while on and NJT MidTOWN Direct train around secaucus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: NEC has about 15 min delays, NJT is cross honoring, but busses have stopped running in South Jersey, and will stop running in North Jersey in a bit. Apparantly the LIRR and Metro North are still doing fine, still nothing to speak of with Amtrak.

Well so far there's nothing official from Amtrak, but here's a quick run down of things from their status screens.

NYP to WAS: Delays range between 10 minutes and 1 hour 35 minutes late.

WAS TO NYP: Delays average about 30 minutes late.

NYP to BOS: Two trains are averaging 1 hour 15 minutes late. Two later trains that should have departed NYP, have no status, just a Call Amtrak note. This would tend to indicate that they have been anulled.

BOS to NYP: Delays average about 20 minutes late.

So over all at least right now, things don't sound too bad on the NEC. I suspect however that the Boston thru NY segment will go down hill tonight and may have big problems in the morning, with Boston and the coast expecting 2+ feet of snow. South of NY, things may not be too bad in the morning, but only time will tell.

Weekend commuter rail schedules, two feet of snow expected in Boston and the heaviest bands going directly over the NEC(seriously!), and on top of that a somewhat late start(didn't fall until after 4pm locally) it's going to be an extremely tough morning for Amtrak north of New York City...With luck Amtrak is out in force getting the yard cleared, being out in the open with little cover affecting the snowfall it's going to be a long night trying to keep the yard open for operation...

Update from Boston: state of emergency declared by Gov. Romney. Mass. National Guard is mobilized and all businesses are ordered closed for the night and possibly tomorrow. The only thing moving are the trains of the MBTA and Amtrak...

If things don't improve overnight(and I doubt they will), the morning Amtrak trains will either be cancelled or extremely late. What a weekend Amtrak is in for up here! :unsure:

I doubt much will be moving in and out of Boston, probably only going with the barest of the crews and pushing time limits for those crews to the maximum allowance here...Tuesday will be the earliest I think that things can have someresemblance to being normal for Amtrak around Boston.

My son is on his way from PHL to NYP on Acela 2256 as I write this. The train left PHL 14 minutes late and is already over an hour late and it is not there yet. He is catching a flight at JFK and fortunately the flight departure is showing late as well. I put his on Acela to best ensure the timing (I should have known better). The joke is on me.

Update: It is now 7:32pm, now 1hr, 42min late, and it's not there yet. It left Newark an hour ago.

Update: The web site just updated with actual arrival at 6:49pm (59min late). It took 50 minutes to post. At least he's at NYP. The next trick is the LIRR and getting to JFK.

Back