Surprising Crescent Pricing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
At first I thought it was a mistake, but I found it looking at many dates......the price for roomette was more expensive than bedroom.....$507/392.... but it's only on 19, not 20. Has anyone found this to be the case on any other routes? I prefer roomette on superliner, but would love to move up to bedroom on viewliner.....(to get farther away from the toilet!)

Sounds like the roomettes have moved into a high bucket while the bedrooms are still in a low bucket. If you can't travel on another day when roomettes are still in low bucket, then take what you can get in a bedroom.

At first I thought it was a mistake, but I found it looking at many dates......the price for roomette was more expensive than bedroom.....$507/392.... but it's only on 19, not 20. Has anyone found this to be the case on any other routes? I prefer roomette on superliner, but would love to move up to bedroom on viewliner.....(to get farther away from the toilet!)
Are you going south of Atlanta? I've noticed some really quirky pricing south of ATL on the Crescent.

Are you going south of Atlanta? I've noticed some really quirky pricing south of ATL on the Crescent.
I was looking to go the entire route...NYP to NOL. Amsnag is down right now so I can't look again, but I saw those prices I quoted in several different months.....it wasn't just a one-day bucket price.

I was looking to go the entire route...NYP to NOL. Amsnag is down right now so I can't look again, but I saw those prices I quoted in several different months.....it wasn't just a one-day bucket price.
Theoretically it could happen on any train, but the Crescent is the one I've seen what you're witnessing the most. Bascially, south of ATL there's a lot of unfilled rooms, especially bedrooms. (It could happen if there's a lot less demand for bedrooms, but often the Crescent is just...quirky with pricing.)

The rooms are full NEC to ATL, after ATL Amtrak tries to sell them for daytime pairs between ATL and NOL. The sleepers are actually quite popular for ATL-NOL city pairs with families and groups. A bedroom in daytime configuration is sold with anywhere from 1-4 occupants, a family of four can have private space in a room cheaper than buying coach. This is also popular with fraternities from the University of Alabama for Mardi Gras. The same applies to roomettes but they are more popular with couples since they can only be sold with 2 occupants.

Often the Crescent isn't as empty south of NOL as people seem to think, leaving ATL the train is about half full but by NOL it is usually 3/4 or more full from short trips picked up from Anniston on down. Birmingham, Tuscaloosa and Meridian to NOL are actually quite popular city pairs, people tend to use the train to get to NOL, have fun the night they arrive in the French Quarter or at Harrah's, spend the next day in NOL then come back the following morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back