Suspicious post on UIC rail web site

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gyuri_ft

Service Attendant
Sorry for VERY out-of-topic post (it's about a EMU used on DB, not Amtrak), but I found somewhat I really do not like. Maybe I am paranoid - but in the morning of 9/11/2003 I thought my close friend got crazy as she called me. Later same day I looked up the Net regarding the news and changed my mind.

Anyway, here is the link to the suspicious question on UIC discussion board - note the poor English.

http://www.uic.asso.fr/wagora/view.php?sit...last=1035911389

Here is the "tingy" (ET425) this guy would like to drive. It is a damn fast thing and there is very little obstacle between the passenger room and the engineer. The rest is up your imagination.

http://www.pro-bahn.de/weilheim/et425_ergebnis.htm

Please contact proper places with this link. Sorry again for paranoia and noise.

This is not off topic, it is appropriate. I was on another railfan sight last year, and I saw a post from someone who said that they wanted to write a novel that had realistic train information. Then there were questions about signaling and saftey systems. Part of the novel's plot revolved around the sabotaging of the saftey sytems on Amtrak's NEC. The post looked innocent, but in light of 9/11, it bothered me. I called Amtrak and got the police, and they actually staid on the phone with me while they navigated the internet to get to this post.

My advice, be carefuly about sharing our inside knowledge with people who seem unusually intersted.

The more I think about this post the more sick it seem for me.

Say, you are an egineer working for a railway being member or associated with UIC (or OSZhD). You would like to try out such equipment. You certainly won't post on the UIC web site (most likely you are not connected to Internet to begin with). You would perhaps discuss the issue with your buddies at your Trade Union (the rail workers are among the most unionized around the world) and you will get the necessary contact in any country (from Botswana to Canada) in nu minutes.

Ifyou feel uncomfortable, call the 1-800 usa-rail number, identify your self, explain the situation, and have them connect you to Amtrak police. Let them make the decision.

It pays to be careful these days. I am a writer, but if I were going to write a novel using sensitive information, I would first go through the proper authorities, get permission, etc. This would be the correct thing to do

All of your posts are good, and I am glad to see that all of us seem to care enough about Amtrak/passenger rail to notice suspicious activities and report them. This is a big part of why our rails are as safe as they are. Keep your eyes open! :ph34r:

I personally have numbers for both the Amtrak and CSX Police programmed into my Cell in case I see something suspicious. Many yards and stations have the number posted, but just in case you ever need it, the number is (800) 331-0008.

battalion51 said:
I personally have numbers for both the Amtrak and CSX Police programmed into my Cell in case I see something suspicious. Many yards and stations have the number posted, but just in case you ever need it, the number is (800) 331-0008.
Number for...?

The original post at UIC was not concerning Amtrak, but DB - it is why I wasn't sure where to write. I do not like the facts, that several annoying questions were made on Amtrak forum regarding U.S. trains in NE and a (IMHO pretty annoying) request was made to UIC regarding driving German (DB) trains AT THE SAME TIME.

Call me paranoid...

I still have no idea what to do with this UIC thing since US clearly has no authority there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back