SW Chief, Sunset LTD meal questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For my spring break next week, I'm taking a trip from my home in Michigan to Los Angeles and back via New Orleans, spending an extra day in Chicago on the way out for the town hall meeting.

Last year (June), I rode the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville - my first long-distance ride. I loved every second of it and one of my favorite experiences was eating (and meeting) in the dining car. Say what you want about the food, but I thought it was quite enjoyable.

Since my Zephyr trip, I've made some dietary changes, including becoming pescutarian (vegetarian + fish, no other meat). I realize that limits my options a little bit, but it doesn't bother me that much (in fact, I ordered the vegetarian pasta almost every night on the Zephyr). I know that there are rotations of specific dishes on the menu (Chef's marketplace/good morning special/etc.), I was mainly curious as to what the current rotations or specials are on the Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited.

Also, since my last trip, I've went on a drastically reduced-calorie diet to lose weight (30 pounds, on top of a prior 60 lost since 2007). I've rebounded from that, but I am trying to stick to the 2000-calorie diet for maintenance purposes. Does anyone know if Amtrak has done tests on their food to determine nutritional information? Some agents I've talked to have said I should ask on the train, but I'm hoping someone here might have an idea. Regardless of if such information is available or not, it won't stop me from placing an order. :)

Additionally, if anyone has any general pointers or tips about any aspect of these trains (and the City of New Orleans) I'm all ears for them, too.

Thanks for any help or information!

For my spring break next week, I'm taking a trip from my home in Michigan to Los Angeles and back via New Orleans, spending an extra day in Chicago on the way out for the town hall meeting. Last year (June), I rode the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville - my first long-distance ride. I loved every second of it and one of my favorite experiences was eating (and meeting) in the dining car. Say what you want about the food, but I thought it was quite enjoyable.

Since my Zephyr trip, I've made some dietary changes, including becoming pescutarian (vegetarian + fish, no other meat). I realize that limits my options a little bit, but it doesn't bother me that much (in fact, I ordered the vegetarian pasta almost every night on the Zephyr). I know that there are rotations of specific dishes on the menu (Chef's marketplace/good morning special/etc.), I was mainly curious as to what the current rotations or specials are on the Southwest Chief and Sunset Limited.

Also, since my last trip, I've went on a drastically reduced-calorie diet to lose weight (30 pounds, on top of a prior 60 lost since 2007). I've rebounded from that, but I am trying to stick to the 2000-calorie diet for maintenance purposes. Does anyone know if Amtrak has done tests on their food to determine nutritional information? Some agents I've talked to have said I should ask on the train, but I'm hoping someone here might have an idea. Regardless of if such information is available or not, it won't stop me from placing an order. :)

Additionally, if anyone has any general pointers or tips about any aspect of these trains (and the City of New Orleans) I'm all ears for them, too.

Thanks for any help or information!
Sounds like a kewl trip, and the diner is probably the greatest social experience of any trip. I'd suggest swapping that extra day CHI for an extra day in NOL. Anything seafood can be found in New Orleans. I've been to the Big Apple, and the Big Easy. The Big Easy has my heart. I don't know that much about Chicago.

The City of New Orleans (the train) served up a great shrimp gumbo, but I've got to warn you that while it tastes good, the presentation was really amateurish. The meal provided a lot of laughs, but the food was good. :lol:

I haven't taken the Sunset Limited yet, but I'd guess that it serves up the usual Amtrak fare. My wife had the trout on the LSL last month, and finished every morsel. :cool:

Watch out for the desserts if you are calorie counting, especially the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie, they are pretty tasty! ;)

If you can get the crab cakes they are usually not bad, the catfish,if offered, isnt all that great but as the previous poster said Ive found the trout to be pretty nice! The veggie offerings you already know, the veggieburger is sort of bland, Im not a vegetarian and I like the veggie pasta! The CONO has a CCC so the setting isnt so great as compared to a "real diner" but usually the crew is pretty friendly and the diner isnt as crowded as on the western trains! (they call it "the chicken bone express" cause so many pax bring KFC! :lol: ) Most of the" specials" are nothing really special on these trains and as you know the salads are pretty generic. Id agree with the previous poster about New Orleans, if you can fit it in an extra day in the Big Easy is definitely worth it! ;) Take some healthy snacks that you like since the lounge car fare is pretty high fat/high priced! A great trip, be sure and give us reports on the trip and the meeting! New Orleans is where you want to throw caution to the wind and eat till you drop! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch out for the desserts if you are calorie counting, especially the Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie, they are pretty tasty! ;) If you can get the crab cakes they are usually not bad, the catfish,if offered, isnt all that great but as the previous poster said Ive found the trout to be pretty nice! The veggie offerings you already know, the veggieburger is sort of bland, Im not a vegetarian and I like the veggie pasta! The CONO has a CCC so the setting isnt so great as compared to a "real diner" but usually the crew is pretty friendly and the diner isnt as crowded as on the western trains! (they call it "the chicken bone express" cause so many pax bring KFC! :lol: ) Most of the" specials" are nothing really special on these trains and as you know the salads are pretty generic. Id agree with the previous poster about New Orleans, if you can fit it in an extra day in the Big Easy is definitely worth it! ;) Take some healthy snacks that you like since the lounge car fare is pretty high fat/high priced! A great trip, be sure and give us reports on the trip and the meeting! New Orleans is where you want to throw caution to the wind and eat till you drop! ;)
The 1/2 chicken is baked. It is usually pretty good, though occasionally it can be dry. There is a lot of it though. If you practice portion control, it would be a good choice, too.

I recently had salmon for dinner on the SW Chief -- I think it was the daily special. The menu said it was served with a cream sauce; I asked our server to omit the sauce and instead give me some lemon, which was exactly how it was served. It was a bit overcooked (dry), but not bad. For lunch both days I had the veggie burger (also had it on the Coast Starlight) -- quite good I thought.

I think if you want to make sure you're not eating the pasta option everyday, call Amtrak about your dietary needs. Their website states that special diets can be had with just a request.

I think if you want to make sure you're not eating the pasta option everyday, call Amtrak about your dietary needs. Their website states that special diets can be had with just a request.
My heritage is Italian...I have NO issues eating it every night and would willingly do so! :) Like I said above, on my Zephyr trip, I ate it virtually every night. The only exception was on one night where there was one dish left and the person across from me wanted it as well. In that case, I had the half-chicken as a courtesy to the other person.

I didn't learn until later that there were/are three rotating pasta dishes. That's mainly what I'm trying to find out--what the current rotations and specials are. I REALLY hope they have the salmon when I ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back