SWC #3 CHI-LAX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I am taking SWC #3 from CHI - LAX and just wanted to check on accomodation status. Shows all rooms sold out (thank goodness I have my transdorm roomette). What can I expect crowd wise. Coach is not sold out, but I expect we WILL run out of provisions somewhere on the route.

When I rode the SWC - with lots of space in the sleepers - they ran out of most breakfast items the second morning(3rd day on way into LA).

When I rode the SWC - with lots of space in the sleepers - they ran out of most breakfast items the second morning(3rd day on way into LA).
Sounds like I should plan on eating when the diner first opens and plan on the Butcher's Cut New York Strip Steak for dinner the first night and the Classic Railroad French Toast the first morning to ensure I get those choices.

The lounge will probably be packed as well.

Actually the fact it says no bedrooms means for the entire journey, I am sure everyone boarding in Chi will not go all the way to LAX just as not everyone will be boarding in CHI.

This will be interusting, becouse i leave Sat (5/21) on the SWC and it also shows sold out. I will try and keep you updated as it progresses to see how the food holds out.

Oh, it's going to be FUN, I can tel you that! :)

Which reminds me, I have to remind my friend that she needs to book her tickets for #3 for (7/10), because buckets are going up and the trains are GOING to sell out.

This will be interusting, becouse i leave Sat (5/21) on the SWC and it also shows sold out. I will try and keep you updated as it progresses to see how the food holds out.
I'll be on that train, but I booked my roomette back in December or so.

Oh, it's going to be FUN, I can tel you that! :)

Which reminds me, I have to remind my friend that she needs to book her tickets for #3 for (7/10), because buckets are going up and the trains are GOING to sell out.
Surprised they're not already sold out given that's less than two months out...

Are there any diner restocking points along the route?
Sure there are. Arby's, Subway, KFC, Domino's Pizza, yada, yada, yada.........
mda.gif

That reminds me of my last year's Cardinal Trip! I was on the EB #50 & we stopped in the middle of no where. (no station, nothing) Pretty soon the WB #51 comes along side of us & I can see crew transfering things to our train. I'm assuming it was for the diner. It may happen all the time but it was new to me!

Dick, after reading this thread, I checked on-line to check the availability on the 10/3/11 train on which we will be traveling (not in the same room :blush: ). Both the family bedrooms and bedrooms are sold out and it looks like the roomettes are at high bucket. (the bedrooms on the Lakeshore Limited are also sold out). I guess we will be eating early.

Dick, after reading this thread, I checked on-line to check the availability on the 10/3/11 train on which we will be traveling (not in the same room :blush: ). Both the family bedrooms and bedrooms are sold out and it looks like the roomettes are at high bucket. (the bedrooms on the Lakeshore Limited are also sold out). I guess we will be eating early.
I wouldn't bet on the train actually being sold out, at least yet. Sure it could very well happen, but it would also not surprise me to see it with empty rooms. Case in point, Mom and I are doing the CZ on the way to the Gathering, since the last time we rode that train it took the detour through Wyoming, instead of the normal route over the Rockies through the Moffett tunnel.

Our train is currently sold out on Bedrooms, and many of the roomettes are showing as sold too. However, a little birdie tells me that travel agency is holding a very big block of rooms at present. If that agency doesn't sell all those rooms, they'll eventually go back into inventory and they may or may not get sold.

Of course October is also leaf peeper season, so it isn't that unusual to have a high demand for certain trains.

I wouldn't bet on the train actually being sold out, at least yet. Sure it could very well happen, but it would also not surprise me to see it with empty rooms. Case in point, Mom and I are doing the CZ on the way to the Gathering, since the last time we rode that train it took the detour through Wyoming, instead of the normal route over the Rockies through the Moffett tunnel.

Our train is currently sold out on Bedrooms, and many of the roomettes are showing as sold too. However, a little birdie tells me that travel agency is holding a very big block of rooms at present. If that agency doesn't sell all those rooms, they'll eventually go back into inventory and they may or may not get sold.

Of course October is also leaf peeper season, so it isn't that unusual to have a high demand for certain trains.
When I tried to book the SWC back in February for my upcoming trip in June ... Roomettes were "SOLD OUT" :angry: ... SO I booked on the Texas Eagle (CHI to LAX) But just the first of this month I went back and checked on the SWC and BADABING... ROOMETTES were available :D SO I quickly called and had them change me from the TE to the SWC and I actually got a TRANSDORM SLEEPER :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back