SWC rail improvement questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATSFNewton

Train Attendant
I notice that BNSF is replacing ties for many miles west of Dodge City. Is this possible much-needed improvement of that section of rail for passenger trains? Or just improvement to basic freight standards? What exactly needs to be done to the rail in this region to make it work for higher Amtrak speeds? Just curious.

I'm curious about this also. And at what point are the tracks not used for freight? On a trip last month, I noticed freight trains over much of the line through Kansas and Colorado.

While the Dodge City portion of the line is a factor for the SWC time the real problem is the section from Albuquerque, NM to La Junta, CO. BNSF is sill using the Dodge City line for agricultural trains but no traffic goes through Raton Pass. So its just probably line up keep for freight speeds.

I'm curious about this also. And at what point are the tracks not used for freight? On a trip last month, I noticed freight trains over much of the line through Kansas and Colorado.
BNSF is not intending to abandon the line through Kansas and Colorado, just not to maintain it to Class 4 (79 mph passenger) or even Class 3 (59 passenger) standards. They want to maintain it as a low speed branch line, Class 1 or Class 2.

BNSF is intending to abandon or embargo the line from Lamy to La Junta. Not sure if they are intending to formally abandon it, or just embargo it, like UP did with Tennessee Pass, which is not technically abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back