Switch Heaters

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jha6

Train Attendant
On my California Zephyr trip a few weeks ago we came across one frozen switch which forced us to stop and the crew had to fiddle with (beat with a sludge hammer LOL...) and swictch manually. The switch heater wasn't working is what they told me. I decided to look into it out of curiosity.

Most switch heaters are like this:

or like this:

But I guess there are also "open flame" heaters. Has anyone ever seen this? I would love to see this in person!!! I never knew they do this.

An open flame would replicate the early oil pot switch heaters.

I'm not an expert but I think the choice of methods is influenced by what type of snow is usually expected (powder, wet, etc.) and what utilities are nearby, if any.

I do know that Murphy's Law applies to switch heaters. Edmonton's LRT has nearby utilities so normally the powdery snow can be blown away or melted. However, for a single winter during highway overpass construction a propane heater was installed at the Clareview outer terminal. Of course, that turned out to be the coldest period of the LRT era and propane jelled, causing the switch to freeze up for the AM peak and trains had to be turned short.

There are also all-electric switch heaters. They either work like the first video, except the heat is generated with electric resistance; or they work by blowing hot air like the second video.

From what I can tell, it's partly a matter of when they were installed and how much infrastructure was available at the time. A rural switch heater is unlikely to be electric, while one installed today in a big city, where there's ready access to high-voltage, high-amperage electricity, is fairly likely to.

From oldest to newest:
flaming ropes
oil pots
propane
electric

The Weather Channel had a video of the flaming rails this past week during the storm and mentioned how they used the fire to thaw the switches so the trains could keep moving.

What's really interesting in a modern rail operation is when they bring out the rope and kerosene after the electrically-heated switches are too encased in snow or ice to operate.
Interesting. Any pictures of this "rope and fire" method???

Metra is famous for those open flame junctions. When Metra redid the yards (or at least the switch heaters) on the MED they used ducted forced air heaters - I think some area gas fired and others are electric.

I cannot speak for all of Europe and Asia, but in the Netherlands we don't have the open fire type.
Never saw it in the north of Sweden (they also don't have domestic gas service, 100% electric other than fuel oil for - rare and getting more so - residential heating outside of district heating areas) either.

Back