TAC to SJC on the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristobal

Lead Service Attendant
...a more detailed report when I can find the time. ;)

Some quick and random observations:

The only real bad thing about the whole trip was that it was simply too short. At just a little under 24 hrs (10:30 am Monday to 10:00 am Tuesday) there just wasn't enough time on that wonderful train. :(

A refurbed Superliner I is a much, much nicer car than a Superliner II (based on my experience last year on the CZ which was also my first time on any Amtrak train). Tom (my outstanding SCA for the trip) likens them to Roll Royce vs Hyundai.

Anyone who thinks that the ocean scenery is the best part of the CS trip must have slept through central Oregon. Oh... my... god. Absolutely breathtaking.

The PPC is an amazing addition to a LD train. While I did skip the wine & cheese tasting and any meals in the PPC I did enjoy a couple of drinks from a very comfy swivel chair early Monday evening while waiting for my dinner reservation (and watching the world roll by).

The next time I'm in a roomette (the EB and CS in Sept unless I just can't wait 'til then :D ) I'm going to have the bed made up with my head at the wider seat regardless of the direction of travel. The step to the upper bunk caught my arm a couple of times when turning over. Tom said that they are supposed to always set the beds up 'feet first' for safety reasons but he also went on to say that once it's been setup by the SCA I am free to change it myself (wink, wink...).

The chipotle black bean veggie burger (w/cheese!) is actually very tasty (and more than a little spicy). It had been mentioned by others here so I decided to try one myself. I will be eating them again for sure in the future.

PDX is a really nice station. I was actually quite surprised when I went inside there during our layover.

Real plates and glasses is a nice touch. As were the complimentary split of champagne and the Amtrak amenity pouch.

Glad you enjoyed the trip, you are correct, the CS is FIRST RATE! ;) Next time try eating in the PPC, as has been said the menu,while limited, has different food than the diner, we only ate breakfast in the diner, lunch and dinner was in the PPC, in fact except to sleep and use the restroom/shower I practically lived in the PPC! (My girlfriend a little less so, but it takes her longer to "get ready", and she's also prettier than me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back